Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you know you are ready for the test? (had 100 hours of lessons with BSM!) watch

ReputationRep:
    Long story short - I just had my 100th hour of lessons with BSM today. :eek: I simply cannot afford any more lessons. I've spend almost £2000 on lessons!

Instructor says I'm not ready yet! I've had to move the test date so many times! It annoys me because one second he says I'm ready and tells me to book the test, then 1 week before the test he tells me I'm not ready yet!

I still make minor mistakes during the lesson (usually towards the end of the 2 hour lessons when I lose concentration).

My instructor says I'll be ready when I stop making mistakes.

I guess my question is - how do you know when you are ready for the test?? When you are not making any mistakes at all?

ReputationRep:
    You'll never get to a point where you make no mistakes at all. After 100 hours of lessons, it sounds like the instructor just wants your money. Most people pass after significantly less than that.

Remember, you don't have to concentrate for two hours in the test, only 40 minutes or so. I'd say book your test as soon as you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    You'll never get to a point where you make no mistakes at all. After 100 hours of lessons, it sounds like the instructor just wants your money. Most people pass after significantly less than that.

Remember, you don't have to concentrate for two hours in the test, only 40 minutes or so. I'd say book your test as soon as you can.
    Really? :eek: this totally contradicts what my instructor is saying. How many mistakes can I be making? Right now I make about 10-15 mistakes every 2 hours lesson. Usually they are mistakes like indicating too early or taking too long to change up/down gears, sometimes I stall on uphill slopes too.

ReputationRep:
    Find a local instructor who offers an assessment lesson and go for that - second opinion time

ReputationRep:
    If I was in your position I would actually be making a complaint to BSM, im sure you are more than ready.

ReputationRep:
    I've had 15 hours of lessons so far and my instructor says I'm ready! You should book it when YOU feel confident with your driving.

If only I could pass my theory test What an idiot I am!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninat)
    Long story short - I just had my 100th hour of lessons with BSM today. :eek: I simply cannot afford any more lessons. I've spend almost £2000 on lessons!

Instructor says I'm not ready yet! I've had to move the test date so many times! It annoys me because one second he says I'm ready and tells me to book the test, then 1 week before the test he tells me I'm not ready yet!

I still make minor mistakes during the lesson (usually towards the end of the 2 hour lessons when I lose concentration).

I guess my question is - how do you know when you are ready for the test?? When you are not making any mistakes at all?
    2 hours! Christ even F1 drivers make mistakes after 2 hours.

Change your lessons to 1 hour, have a couple 'mock tests' with your instructor, you'll get a better picture of how ready you are then.

As long as you can nail each manoeuvre, and are safe with your general driving then you'll be fine.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    100 hours of lessons is frankly ridiculous; the average for a 17-year old is around 25 hours. BSM are robbing b***ards, find a local instructor.

ReputationRep:
    When I passed, I had 21 hours of lessons. The DSA recommend ~40 hours (if I remember correctly), so I'd definitely be making a complaint to BSM if that was me.

I agree with the_Goose in that you should get a second opinion with a local instructor.

-J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninat)
    Really? :eek: this totally contradicts what my instructor is saying. How many mistakes can I be making? Right now I make about 10-15 mistakes every 2 hours lesson. Usually they are mistakes like indicating too early or taking too long to change up/down gears, sometimes I stall on uphill slopes too.

These all sound like things that would count as "minors" in your test. As long as you don't make too many of them it's fine. It's pretty rare to pass with zero minor mistakes. If it's just occasional little things then don't worry about it, as long as you are not consistently making the same mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    I've had 15 hours of lessons so far and my instructor says I'm ready! You should book it when YOU feel confident with your driving.

If only I could pass my theory test What an idiot I am!
    Be careful because this is exactly what happened to me. After 20 hours instructor told me I was ready and to book my test. 2 weeks before test, he told me to change the test date because I was still making mistakes. Same thing happened about 3 times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninat)

I'm really sorry but you have been ripped off. No matter what your driving is like, it is your instructor's responsibility to solve whatever problems come up. It sounds like your instructor hasn't been doing that.

100 hours of lessons is frankly ridiculous; the average for a 17-year old is around 25 hours. BSM are robbing b***ards, find a local instructor.
    You might say that........I couldn't possibly comment

I don't entirely agree with this. It has to be an agreement between you and your instructor - after all you will be using their car. However, if you have had more than 20 lessons you should have a very good idea of when you will be taking your test. 'You're not ready yet' is a cop-out and you shouldn't accept it.

It's pretty rare to pass with zero minor mistakes.
    It's not pretty rare - it is extremely rare. No mistakes is perfection and not even instructors drive perfectly all the time.

Change your lessons to 1 hour, have a couple 'mock tests' with your instructor, you'll get a better picture of how ready you are then.
    ...and what's to stop your instructor for being creative with their marking? Go to an independent and have an assessment/mock test with them.

Seriously though, go somewhere else. Find another local independent instructor, preferably with the same type of car, explain exactly your situation and take your test with them.

Best Wishes

Emma

ReputationRep:
    You should have booked and taken your test 60-70 hours ago.

ReputationRep:
    I think you just know, as cliche as that sounds.

I failed my first test, but to be honest I knew deep down I wasnt ready and it was too early. I'd had an accident a few months earlier and my head just wasnt in the right place to be foccusing on driving. So I took a break, left it a few months then did the test again and passed.

I think you really need to tell your instructor you want to try the test, or get another instructor. They should be encouraging you, not holding you back.

ReputationRep:
    i only had 36 hours of lessons, i'm sure your ready don't let him make you push it back anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninat)

I had a lot of lessons like you have and passed first time, so my advice would have been to just keep going because you're more likely to pass first time. BUT from what you've said about your instructor, it sounds like he's just trying to waste your money because he shouldn't keep telling you to cancel your test like that. Everyone makes minor mistakes in the lessons, especially when it's 2 hours long. Tell him you need to book your test, and stick to that test date because you can't afford lessons much longer. If he still says you're not ready, get another instructor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninat)

Reminds me of my disastrous times with BSM. I was having two 2 hour lessons a week and the expense was killing me. My first instructor clearly jus wanted my money and my 2nd instructor (got rid of the first one) would shout every time i made a mistake - which as a result, would make me lose my confidence and get so angry that I would lose concentration and make even more mistakes towards the end of the lesson. Seriously just book ur test, everyone I know including myself has had terrible experiences with BSM.

ReputationRep:
    100 hours!?! Jesus wept, you must either be the world's worst driver or the world's biggest mug. I took my test afer 20 hours and passed first time.

ReputationRep:
    100 hours of driving lessons is a lot for someone who has not taken their test yet. No one is the perfect driver and on your test you may make minor mistakes but as long as you don't get a major or a serious driving fault then you will pass! you should maybe consider getting a new instructor and then book your test!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninat)

Everybody makes mistakes after a couple of hours driving, its just natural, you don't concentrate as much as you should, of you're getting a bit bored, and you just stop thinking properly.

After 100 hours of lessons it sounds purely like your instructor is just telling you that you're not ready because he wants to milk more money out of you.

Best thing to do would be to find an independant driving instructor near you (usually not too hard to find) and book a single, 1 hour lesson, with them. Tell them that you are switching instructors but you are looking to do your test very soon and pretty much ask to do a mock test straight away.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.