Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Carlos Tevez comments Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is Carlos Tevez right?

Sad Soccer

I think we're all a bit fed up of football to be honest. In its current state, it epitomizes the monster that is capitalism.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
      I think we're all a bit fed up of football to be honest. In its current state, it epitomizes the monster that is capitalism.
      Replace that with you are...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cfc1992)
      Replace that with you are...
      Of course the Ch£lski fan would disagree :teehee:

ReputationRep:
      Love this from a guy who went across a city because they gave him a better offer and put him on 140k a week. I am sure the Sheikh won't mind if you play for free mate.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
      Would moar flares in British football appease your disgust?

(Original post by ish90an)
      Love this from a guy who went across a city because they gave him a better offer and put him on 140k a week. I am sure the Sheikh won't mind if you play for free mate.
      No. United failed to assure him of his worth in the squad so he moved to a club where he would feel more valued.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by In2deep)
      Of course the Ch£lski fan would disagree :teehee:

As would you if you had an ounce of sense. The current state of football doesn't disadvantage anyone in the top division, especially those towards the top without a decent academy.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Colbert)
      No. United failed to assure him of his worth in the squad so he moved to a club where he would feel more valued.
      I agree, he wanted to play. But I think the 140k a week probably helped.

ReputationRep:
      Would moar flares in British football appease your disgust?

I'm sure the 50%+ payrise had no effect whatsoever......

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kevmeister)
      I'm sure the 50%+ payrise had no effect whatsoever......
      In real life, if you have a job where you aren't treated well or appreciated by your manager despite being bloody good at your role, and a rival firm offers you employment for which you do not have to relocate, pays more and offers you a key role in their progression then you'd be stupid not to take it.

If he's going to retire in a couple of years then why waste them sitting on a bench being overlooked. Now back to the sanctuary of the United Soc where you'll get blind agreement :goaway:

ReputationRep:
      United fans are devastated that after years of bleating on about history, traditional values and such bull**** being the reason players want to play for them; suddenly all their best players want out. It is of course a complete and utter coincidence that this has come at the same time they lost the ability to offer the highest wages in the country. And Rooney's u-turn had nothing to do with his wages being doubled.

Without the sarcasm. Football has and always will be a job to players. Bar an incredibly select few this is the case. Carlos Tevez included. Tevez's saving grace is he undeniably earns his wage.

ReputationRep:
      Oh who cares, i still love the game, and all this controversy i think its entertaining. I'd rather this than people wanting Barca's possession football, which is agonisingly boring! Speaking of that, El Classico tonight, anyone watching it?

ReputationRep:
      In real life, if you have a job where you aren't treated well or appreciated by your manager despite being bloody good at your role, and a rival firm offers you employment for which you do not have to relocate, pays more and offers you a key role in their progression then you'd be stupid not to take it.

If he's going to retire in a couple of years then why waste them sitting on a bench being overlooked. Now back to the sanctuary of the United Soc where you'll get blind agreement :goaway:
      You just agreed with me, you ****ing ****. I didn't say it was the only reason he joined City, did I? I said it played a part.....

ReputationRep:
      You just agreed with me, you ****ing ****. I didn't say it was the only reason he joined City, did I? I said it played a part.....
      Temper, temper :teehee:

You implied that it was merely the wage rise that was the issue here, when it clearly wasn't the key to his departure.

ReputationRep:
      Temper, temper :teehee:

You implied that it was merely the wage rise that was the issue here, when it clearly wasn't the key to his departure.
      No I didn't, I merely added what was missing from your POV.

ReputationRep:
      No I didn't, I merely added what was missing from your POV.
      I still don't understand the bitterness towards Tevez tbh, he was shown the door and then for some reason was blamed for the whole situation. Clearly a case of not being a Fergie favourite and was seen as expendable.

ReputationRep:
      I still don't understand the bitterness towards Tevez tbh, he was shown the door and then for some reason was blamed for the whole situation. Clearly a case of not being a Fergie favourite and was seen as expendable.

Well, it's a bit murkier than that. United said on their site that they were willing to match the £25m Joorabchian asked for, but Tevez declined because it took too long. Ferguson's comments about him not being worth the valuation would make you think otherwise, but I suspect that's more a case of ol' Whiskynose not wanting to be seen as the one who got dumped. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Christien)
      Well, it's a bit murkier than that. United said on their site that they were willing to match the £25m Joorabchian asked for, but Tevez declined because it took too long. Ferguson's comments about him not being worth the valuation would make you think otherwise, but I suspect that's more a case of ol' Whiskynose not wanting to be seen as the one who got dumped. :teehee:
      I remember them admitting they could pay the £25 million, but wasn't it just the fact that they let it run and run without cementing their interest and at the same time Tevez was often on the bench in favour of Rooney and Berbatov? It's easy to see why he felt he should have been considered a first teamer, particularly after the goalscoring exploits he's enjoyed in the 18 months since.

ReputationRep:
      I remember them admitting they could pay the £25 million, but wasn't it just the fact that they let it run and run without cementing their interest and at the same time Tevez was often on the bench in favour of Rooney and Berbatov? It's easy to see why he felt he should have been considered a first teamer, particularly after the goalscoring exploits he's enjoyed in the 18 months since.

I dunno, it's easy to see it as the most needlessly protracted 'saga' of recent times, but it's worth remembering that he didn't exactly set the footballing world aflame in his last year at United. He still got a fair amount of game time in that year, and while you can't deny that he worked hard, his bulldog-like approach did not seem to produce many goals. At the time, even I didn't see him as worth the £25mil. I have never been happier about being wrong. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Christien)
      I dunno, it's easy to see it as the most needlessly protracted 'saga' of recent times, but it's worth remembering that he didn't exactly set the footballing world aflame in his last year at United. He still got a fair amount of game time in that year, and while you can't deny that he worked hard, his bulldog-like approach did not seem to produce many goals. At the time, even I didn't see him as worth the £25mil. I have never been happier about being wrong. :awesome:
      Wasn't bad for a guy who could barely get a game in a relegated* West Ham side :mmm: Fair points though :yep:

*Yes, they cheated and paid their rivals off

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
    Updated: December 3, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.