Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys... I haven't found a thread about this particular course so thought I'd make one. I've applied for American Lit with Creative Writing at UEA and have had an acknowledgement from them (and English Lit with Creative Writing but they rejected me ) but nothing else - has anyone else head from them, either rejections or portfolio requests?

Thaaanks

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    I've had a request for a sample of creative writing, which I sent off a few weeks ago. They've emailed me to say they received it and they'll let me know, but I don't expect a reply over the next few weeks, what with it being christmas 'n all.

Good luck with yours!

ReputationRep:
    Got a letter from them yesterday offering me a place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregemi)
    Got a letter from them yesterday offering me a place
    Well done! You seem so calm haha!
    I was screaming all over TSR when I got my offer! :blush:

ReputationRep:
    Haha thanks!
    I'm really pleased now 'cos I've got all my offers
    Two of which are for the same places and the same courses as you've got offers from it seems (Kent and Lancaster) =]

ReputationRep:
    Haha thanks!
    I'm really pleased now 'cos I've got all my offers
    Two of which are for the same places and the same courses as you've got offers from it seems (Kent and Lancaster) =]
    Ooh, which one do you'll think you'll insure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    Ooh, which one do you'll think you'll insure?
    I think UEA will be number one, and Kent as Insurance (depending on the conditions of UEA's offer, as it's not on UCAS yet)

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    I think UEA will be number one, and Kent as Insurance (depending on the conditions of UEA's offer, as it's not on UCAS yet)

What about you?
    Snap, I think haha! I'm definitely firming UEA. I was considering insuring Lancaster but it's too far away from me and they want AAB while Kent *only* want ABB. I haven't actually visited Lancs yet though so I'll wait and see if I like it. Tbh, it's the year abroad that's swayed me to Kent, they offer such a huge range of institutions. Lancaster seems lovely and friendly though so... arrgh, I don't know! I'm a bit worried about (the lack of) cultural diversity at Lancs tbh. If I get RHUL I might consider insuring them? But then, I sort of feel like withdrawing from RHUL because they're taking too long to respond to me! I don't know... my gut feeling says insure Kent, no idea why. Just seemed like fun when I visited and the course looks amazing and I don't know who the tutors are for Creative Writing at Lancs and I read and loved one of the creative writing lecturers' novels.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I got the weirdest email from them asking for a second more American-y personal statement, so I've done it and who knows. But what were your offers for American Lit if you don't mind me asking? x

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Kent did look really good from the creative writing lectures and everything. I was considering Lancaster too, because they sent me a letter saying that if I put them as my first choice and got AAA (my offer is AAB) then they'd give me a scholarship But when I've mentioned Lancaster to people quite a few have said that they know people who go there and don't really like it because it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere and there isn't much to do :/ This is just what I've heard though, I've no idea if it's true :P

(Original post by lucyERreid)
    Ahhh I got the weirdest email from them asking for a second more American-y personal statement, so I've done it and who knows. But what were your offers for American Lit if you don't mind me asking? x
    I don't know what my offer is yet, they've only sent me a letter and applicant visitors-day-pack-thing saying that they would like to make me a conditional offer, the details of which will be put on UCAS.
    What did they mean by a more American-y personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    I guess that's a good sign! They didn't reject you outright so I guess they wanted you to show you have a huge interest in American lit? They must be seriously considering you.
    I don't have an offer for American lit with CW but I have one for English lit with CW (AAA)- I'm just lurking on here haha :teehee:
    Oh yeah and if you get an offer post on this and I'll add you to the list. Doesn't matter if you don't know the conditions, they can always be edited in later. Just trying to recruit all the UEA offer holders so everyone (sort of) knows who everyone is.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what my offer is yet, they've only sent me a letter and applicant visitors-day-pack-thing saying that they would like to make me a conditional offer, the details of which will be put on UCAS.
    What did they mean by a more American-y personal statement?[/QUOTE]

Oh that's funky... well they basically said that they liked my PS but they noted it didn't say anything about America or American Lit so yesterday I sent off my more American one - I wrote solely about American authors/playwrights and why I admired America etc.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's funky... well they basically said that they liked my PS but they noted it didn't say anything about America or American Lit so yesterday I sent off my more American one - I wrote solely about American authors/playwrights and why I admired America etc.
    OH right that's cool, good luck with it!

ReputationRep:
    just got a conditional offer for american lit & creative writing! (well an email saying they will be giving me an offer)

ReputationRep:
    They want me to send them a portfolio - wooo

A step behind you lot but still

ReputationRep:
    Also can I ask you guys how you set out your portfolio? Did you do a little intro or any explanation of what you've put in and why? Or did you let your work speak for itself as it were?

ReputationRep:
    I got in for English and American Lit last year but I had mentioned American Lit in my PS as I did The Great Gatsby and A Streetcar Named Desire in A2 I think you just need to show an interest in American Lit and what you've read so far.

ReputationRep:
    Also can I ask you guys how you set out your portfolio? Did you do a little intro or any explanation of what you've put in and why? Or did you let your work speak for itself as it were?
    I didn't put a contents page in or anything. I just put a short title above each separate piece of writing, put my name and numbers etc on the top and sent it off

ReputationRep:
    This is for English Lit and CW, but I don't see why there would be a huge difference!
    I didn't put in a contents page. I just put a title and a line break for each piece. When they asked me for a portfolio, they asked for 200 words of context as well. I put my 200 words of explanation in the email and attached the portfolio. Didn't they ask you for a bit of additional information on what you put in your portfolio? I know if I hadn't, they wouldn't have had a clue what my writing was about!

ReputationRep:
    This is late, but they asked me for an American personal statement too, and I've written it but it's so rubbish I know they'll reject me when they see it. Annoying time too to ask, just in the middle of exams. How long is yours?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.