Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Exercises for thighs/hips etc. (Too cold to jog!) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a girl...
    Basically, I have an hourglass sort of figure, so a good basic shape. I am quite happy with my figure, but I think it could be really good if I toned up so I want to do this. I want to tone stomach (though my stomach is already quite flat, but no muscle really), my hips and ESPECIALLY my legs. My thighs are the one area I cannot seem to make slimmer.

Towards the end of summer/beginning of Autumn, I finally took up jogging which felt like it was working and felt good...but it is too snowy and cold for jogging now.
    What could I do through the winter, until the snow has gone, to try and tone up these areas? If you recommend an exercise, how much of it would I need to do a day or a week, for it to have any effect? How long til you see improvement?
    Has something worked for you?

I own a crosstrainer, though it is currently stuck on one easy-ish setting. Needs repairing. But even this doesnt feel like it does as much as jogging does.

I do not believe diet is a problem for me, it is simply a lack of exercise.

Thanks for any advice

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried swimming? Doing it reguarly (say 2-4 times a week) will definetly help you tone up your leg/bum area .

Obviously it is winter so you may be worried about going swimming= wet hair in the middle of winter= cold, but if you blow dry it at the pool, you should be fine...

ReputationRep:
    Squats /thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louischris23)
    For looking good only girls are doing this type of exercise. The girls are doing this type of exercise because they have to look smart than other girl. If some are looking bad because heavy body than also this type of exercise should be done by the girls for loosing the weight.
    lolwut?

ReputationRep:
    Jillian Michaels has some workout dvds that are actually really good for toning.

ReputationRep:
    im sorry to say this but there is no way for you to just slim down of your thighs. you would have to lose fat all over and it depends where your body likes to store its last bit of fat.
    for exercise try body-weight complexes. take about 10mins to do and require no equipment and great for fat-loss, but they are brutally hard.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycTCDJwbI-o

ReputationRep:
    Buy a treadmill?

ReputationRep:
    Squats. Squats. Squats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Squats. Squats. Squats.
    leg press (machine) gives you more hypertrophy on your quads (quick muscle expansion) than squats, and i guess its seen as "aesthetically pleasing" to have good legs as a female, so leg press wouldnt be a bad bet either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by htn)
    leg press (machine) gives you more hypertrophy on your quads (quick muscle expansion) than squats, and i guess its seen as "aesthetically pleasing" to have good legs as a female, so leg press wouldnt be a bad bet either
    But squats have so many other benefits when compared with a leg press :teeth: I suppose if you're only looking for shape...

ReputationRep:
    jog

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.