Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student Quality, "Privatisation" of HE and Funding Priority Watch

ReputationRep:
    First of all I’d like to thank the minister for taking some time to answer the questions of those affected by his government’s cuts.

As I know the minister’s time here is limited, I’ve bolded the sections I’d appreciate a straightforward response to.

Currently, Britain can be proud to call many of the world’s best universities her own. This is, I hope, a status quo that will be maintained, but I fear that cutting funding for higher education and leaving it to the vagaries of the free(er) market could represent a step in the wrong direction.

My reasoning is that some universities are already starting to show a preference for international students with fairly poor educational prospects but nevertheless well-capitalised families able to pay the much higher fees for non-EU students. This, I have observed, leads to segregation on campuses along cultural and class lines and brings down the quality of student overall. If universities have their funding cut then they will likely seek proven sources of alternative revenue, and I think we will see a rise in the number of students chosen from abroad not on their academic merits but rather the size of their wallets. This is not good for Britain’s world standing as a centre of learning. I would like the minister to clarify whether the funding cuts will we made up by the increased tuition fees, or whether there will be a cut in real terms.

I also have to express my disappointment that the arts and humanities are likely to suffer most severely under the planned cuts, and declare my interest as a history student. May I ask the minister why he believes the arts and humanities to be of less value to Britain than the sciences and more “vocational” subjects such as management and business studies?

I believe that most students in this country accept that in a time of austerity cuts have to be made and that they have to be wide-ranging. So long as higher education is free at the point of entry, as it will be even with the tuition fee rises, students don’t have to worry so much about the accessibility of a university education. What I am most worried about is the funding cuts and the move to a more “vocational” preference for study, and while I recognise that education is not the only cause in the nation worthy of funding, I want to ask the minister why the cuts could not have been spread more evenly and not fallen so hard on the areas that drive innovation. Why, for example, was it thought a good idea to ring-fence the NHS budget, which represents a much larger proportion of government expenditure?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.