Should Scottish MPs vote on top-up fees? Watch

This discussion is closed.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Many Scottish MPs (who are mostly Labour) have said they will vote with the government for top-up fees. Michael Howard has urged them not to vote, because the Scottish university system is different to ours and will not be affected by top-up fees.

So, should Scottish MPs vote on this issue?
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No, they are Scottish and have their own country to run. Their oppinions shouldn't have an effect on how our country is run, since they aren't running it.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This is made possible only because of the complete dog's dinner Labor made of Scot's devolution.
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
No, they are Scottish and have their own country to run. Their oppinions shouldn't have an effect on how our country is run, since they aren't running it.
But top-up fees would effect the hundreds of English students who go to Scotland to study and the hundreds of Scots who come here!

Labour suck!
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
But top-up fees would effect the hundreds of English students who go to Scotland to study and the hundreds of Scots who come here!

Labour suck!
And who would you vote if you could vote for a party?
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
This is made possible only because of the complete dog's dinner Labor made of Scot's devolution.
Who knows a lot of votes have been squeezed past by the Labour Mps in scotland. Maybe it was carefully calculated strategem.
LH
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago

Labour suck!
That's an excellent point, paticularly that many Scottish students move to England to go to university, so they would expect their MP to be involved in this issue.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Who knows a lot of votes have been squeezed past by the Labour Mps in scotland. Maybe it was carefully calculated strategem.
You can probably bet on that!
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
That's an excellent point, paticularly that many Scottish students move to England to go to university, so they would expect their MP to be involved in this issue.
Our MPs had no say in their system.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Labour suck!
and it's for that reason that i chose yes on the poll... if you make universities in england more expensive, english students are going to choose to go to scottish unis because they're cheaper and scottish students will be deterred from applying to english unis. if there are going to be top up fees (which i don't think there should be), britain needs to be united- you can't have one rule for some and one rule for others.

lou xxx
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
and it's for that reason that i chose yes on the poll... if you make universities in england more expensive, english students are going to choose to go to scottish unis because they're cheaper and scottish students will be deterred from applying to english unis. if there are going to be top up fees (which i don't think there should be), britain needs to be united- you can't have one rule for some and one rule for others.

lou xxx
So if I wanted to go to St. Andrews then I'd get it a lot cheaper than going to an English university?
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So if I wanted to go to St. Andrews then I'd get it a lot cheaper than going to an English university?
no, because you would be registered to an english LEA and would still have to pay tuition fees (the same way foreign students pay tuition fees)
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm pretty sure we pay normal English fees if we go to a Scottish university. And it's usually for four years, which makes it more expensive.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
no, because you would be registered to an english LEA and would still have to pay tuition fees (the same way foreign students pay tuition fees)
Well in that case Scottish MPs need not have say.
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
they can vote if they are gunna vote against it othawise NO!
JaF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes they should vote thats what they are elected for!
JSM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JaF)
Yes they should vote thats what they are elected for!
no they are elected to help run the United Kingdom, not issues that only affect England and Wales, let alone the fact that they are overrepresented by 13 MPs.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Frances)
I'm pretty sure we pay normal English fees if we go to a Scottish university. And it's usually for four years, which makes it more expensive.
you don't get penalised for going to a scottish uni- if the course is longer than it would be in england they pay the tuition fees for the final year (so it works out the same)

lou xxx
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
scotish students dont pay tuition fees, what ever uni they go to.

anyone else in a scotish uni, still pays the normal fees,

i doubt this will change.

wales however, isnt going to have top up fees- so go to uni in wales.

love Katy ***
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Chinese students move to England to go to uni - do we want their MPs voting as well? :rolleyes:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (530)
66.75%
No (264)
33.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed