Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I left my cat for someone to look after him, and that person wasn't doing it properly, and now my cat's fur is in terrible shape - almost a year of negligence, no brushing, no washing - all tangled, he's losing ridiculous amounts of it, I don't know if he's licking himself anymore... He's perfectly healthy, but really, really old (18 yrs). How can I restore his fur to it's original shape (before, it was smooth, shiny)? He's a medium longhair breed. Conditioner? Brushing? Washing? Diet?

ReputationRep:
    Tbh if it's that bad I'd shave it or try and find some form of animal anti-tangle spray (not sure if it exists though lol).
    It'd be a lot kinder to him than leaving it as it is.
    Maybe do an area a day so it's less stressful and either shave or cut the bits out if you can't find anti-tangle stuff.
    Do NOT wash him before you sort his fur out, the matts will just tighten.
    Sometimes vets will sedate animals will awful fur and then literally pull the fur out but it's really unpleasant to see and I'm not convinced the animal is pain free- they sometimes scream

My route would be shave/cut it and then let it grow back. Yes it won't be the same but to me my animal's welfare is far more important than how it looks
    Also never leave him with this person again! Find a reputable pet sitter in the area =)

ReputationRep:
    If there's matting, you should take him to the vets. Mats often get so bad that they grow around skin, so if you shave those off on your own, you could cause problems.

ReputationRep:
    Poor kitty. Maybe take him to the vet and see what advice they have? Or a pet grooming place might have good conditioner.

PS you should kick whoever you left your cat with's ass.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like a visit to the vets will be inevitable . My cat gets really upset around our vet - but I wouldn't trust my cat's (or even my own) health to any other! And I can't really be angry on that person for my cat's (his name is Shogun) shape, because she had really serious health problems herself, during that time...

ReputationRep:
    I would get one of them cat dry shampoos give him spot on and worming tablets ang if he wasn't happier after a few days i would take him to the vet

ReputationRep:
    Atleast he didnt put it in a bin
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    The vet (or more precisely a nurse) can sedate the cat and get rid of any tangles and matts while he's out. If he's a wriggler that's probably a better option than trying to do it yourself, and he'll probably need a once-over anyway if he's old. (I'd say ask them to give him a dental while he's asleep, too, since anaesthetics are riskier in the OAPs so if he's going to have one, he might as well have the full MOT). I suspect though that he's just getting on a bit. Once they're 18 they find it harder to look after themselves.

I have semi longhairs too and I brush them with a baby brush every couple of days and get out any tangles with a comb. My girl always seems to get matts under her armpits so I do usually cut those out, but she's very good about sitting still - if she was a wriggler I'd stick to teasing them out. Diet-wise, I would definitely consider switching him to something designed for older cats or at least feed the very best quality food you can, and preferably wet (if his teeth aren't what they used to be). Something like hi-life, gourmet, bozita if you can get it. Failing that the whiskas oh-so range is probably the least bad of the supermarket foods.

ReputationRep:
    Take your cat to the vets. they wil be able to tell you whats best for your cat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuliF)
    I left my cat for someone to look after him, and that person wasn't doing it properly, and now my cat's fur is in terrible shape - almost a year of negligence, no brushing, no washing - all tangled, he's losing ridiculous amounts of it, I don't know if he's licking himself anymore... He's perfectly healthy, but really, really old (18 yrs). How can I restore his fur to it's original shape (before, it was smooth, shiny)? He's a medium longhair breed. Conditioner? Brushing? Washing? Diet?
    He's just old. Cat's fur loses it's condition when they get old. You should comb or carefully clip away the matted bits though, they'll be uncomfortable for him.
    Don't worry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.