Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much would it cost? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got about a year and a half left of my degree, and I'll be 21. Im really interested in travelling for a little bit after uni, not too long just enough as I haven't done much.

There's probably a hundred places I could name, but obviously it will all cost, so Im going to narrow it down to the main places probably for now, the thing is - I've not really been to any of the places before as yet, so really have no idea of what it's realistically going to cost, which means I can't properly attempt to start saving for it.

Id like to consider doing:

- Thailand - for a couple/few of the weeks?
    - Fiji - unsure for how long?
    - Australia - a month maybe? Perhaps a little bit longer?
    - Las Vegas - a week perhaps?
    - Maybe California and Hawaii too.

I was thinking of doing maybe a 3 month trip in all, but I don't know for sure?

Could anyone better inform me a bit better...

how long i'd probably need in each place?
    if there's anywhere else you'd suggest?
    how much its going to cost (estimated) for each of the places/etc?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on what you want to do, went to thailand for a month and spent £1800 but it was possible to get by on £20 a day if you didnt go wild, Vegas on the other hand, a week there is probably too long, you will blow £500+ easily.

Also i'm in the same boat, just finished uni and im off travelling on dec 27th I've booked myself a one way ticket to new york and then im gonna just work my way around from there and see where I end up, I'm determined to not come back till xmas, Im hoping to travel california, las vegas, australia as well as a few other places so if your interested, im in the middle of setting up a blog before I go, I can send you a link to that when it's done and keep you updated with costs/cheap places to stay, eat etc

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that sounds awesome thanks for offering

Im not sure really, I want to be able to do things while im in these places, otherwise no point going I suppose.

1800 isnt actually too bad for a month, what did u do while you were there and what part did you go?

Your probably right though about Vegas, get a bit too into it - and you realise you blew your entire funds haha

Haven't got long then before you leave then, hope it goes well matey, have fun :cool:

ReputationRep:
    3 months is nothing for what you want to do, spend at least 6 months, more if you have the time.

Money goes further on a shoe string, you can spend twice as much but you won't have twice as much fun. I guess you could say there are diminishing returns the more you spend :teehee: Personally I'd rather rough it and travel for longer than splurge and travel for much less. This is a student way of thinking though, loads of time, very little money :giggle: If I was working I'd travel less spend more.

Thailand is £15-20 per day, excluding city/city travel expenses & activities

I would do Singapore/Malaysia/Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia all at once over 2-3months, 2 months in Aus, 1 month in NZ, 1/2 weeks in Fiji & 2 weeks in America. If you want to do it over less time use that ratio.

ReputationRep:
    I see exactly what you mean, I currently dont have much money either (students haha )... My main concern with it is that I just want to be able to do all the stuff I've heard about and have enough money to visit all the places and see stuff while Im there without the worry of im nearly out of cash, or where am i going to sleep tonight? it may sound completely stupid but it would kind of ruin my time i think but of course Im all for saving money though :giggle:

Thanks for narrowing that down and making more suggestions though, definately worth considering the ratio-ing makes a lot more sense for me too now..

The main one that worries me is the rough costs im looking at for 2 months in Australia... would you happen to have any ideas?

Thanks again for your help

ReputationRep:
    Limited research suggests £30-50 with £30 being bare bones living in hostels and cooking your own food. From my experience living that kind of lifestyle isn't very fun. If you're going to spend the money to get the Australia make sure you have enough money to eat out occasionally & do some activities. I'm surprised no one has replied yet, loads of people on here have been to Aus. You may get a faster response here. America will be more expensive than Australia, and I'm not sure on Fiji but I don't think it's cheap (although cheaper than America).

What you need to do is the following:

1. Work out realistically how much you can save by the time you go away, plus how your going to save it.
    2. Work out a budget

Budget should be worked out like so:

## Fixed known costs (vaccinations, travel insurance, equipment, flights, visas) - you can find out all these prices before you go
    ## Estimated daily costs in each country, multiplied by the time you estimate to be in that country. Be as precise as possible and take the upper estimate not the lower one. Don't assume someone else's estimate is necessarily correct, get as many opinions as possible. Different people require varying degrees of comfort and have varying degrees of ingenuity when spending their money. Ask them what exactly that budget they've told you entails - staying in hostels? drinking alcohol?
    ## Border costs (these are generally the most expensive journeys on public transport, and can usually be found out beforehand)
    ## Specific activities you know you already want to do

Add those all up and you will get a figure, then add some extra just in case. Plus remember exchange rates, you will lose quite a great deal on that.

The budget is probably going to control where you go, how long you go for, and what you do while your there, so it's very important to get that sorted out first.

ReputationRep:
    That's a fantastic answer!! You've really informed me a lot. I definately need to work out a budget as soon as I can... and you've given me some very good advice there too - thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.