Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ^*&%%^#

ReputationRep:
    Well you have an interview, so they obviously liked you and thought you stood a chance. Obviously you should go, it would be ridiculous not to, and don't go in with this negative attitude! Good luck
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yes, one sure-fire way to prove all those people wrong is to not turn up to your interview. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Bearing in mind that I'm not an engineer, I think that its obvious that renewable energy is highly related to engineering. I mean, you want to engineer renewable energy sources. That makes sense.

Judging from how much you want to go to Cambridge, if you don't go to the interview you'll regret not knowing if you could have got in for the rest of your life. Go for it.

It seemed like there was no way I'd be able to switch course at my current Uni due to massive over-subscription of my desired course and lack of decent marks in the open units I took in it, yet I persuaded them and was allowed to switch. Don't give up on your dreams. Just do your best to show you are genuine, showing you are passionate about something goes a long way. (note - showing, not telling).

ReputationRep:
    ffs, renewable energy is more related to engineering that you are to your mum.

Go to your interview, be confident, answer your best, hope for the best and good luck.

Grow a pair, tbfh. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    They asked for an interview, that's as good a sign as is possible from Cambridge. If they didn't like you then you'd have gotten your rejection letter, just revise the **** out of engineering for it especially renewable stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I have a friend who studied engineering, and he's now training with a renewable energy firm, and he's really happy.

Just prepare yourself as well as you can for the interview, they are unlikely to ask you much on your PS but to reassure yourself go over your arguments for why this is related to engineering and why you want to do it.

Don't try to second guess the result - loads of people think they have no chance, and then they get in and they are brilliant. Go to the interview, do your best, and leave it up to Cambridge - they're the experts.

Very best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go to the interview. Worst that can happen is you don't get an offer, best is that you do.
    If you don't go to the interview, you'll defo not get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    Why are people even giving serious answers to such a stupid question?

ReputationRep:
    Go to your interview you crazy person!!! Not going is the ultimate way of getting rejected. Going to the interview is the only way to get in, and if you don't go you'll regret it forever. Prove those who doubted you wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savetheplanet)
    So I applied to Cambridge for engineering. But I fear I've messed up my personal statement by saying that I want to go in the field of renewable energy which some people consider is unrelated to engineering although I think it is.
    It's just that I was soo attracted to all the research Cambridge has done on it and I thought I'd work my butt off if I had to do for the degree there.....but getting in is the problem since I'm an international applicant.
    Now I just wonder what I was thinking when I applied. I have this notion that I WILL get rejected and I am really depressed now. I keep thinking that I'm not good enough and that I don't deserve it compared to all the others who applied there.
    What's worse....my maths teacher, student counsellor and my school said I'll never get in (talk about encouragement -_-) Now I have few more people who will laugh at me and say "I told y'a!!!" and chuckle when I get the rejection letter :*(

I got my interview coming up on 12th december at Jesus College.....wondering whether to go or not.

Someone cheer me up ? Am I being too hard on myself or is it true what I am trying to say?
    Go to the interview! I thought I wouldn't get in with my (relatively) crap bmat score, but I did. The interview makes all the difference. I'm at Jesus, and I've met lots of engineers here who got pooled to Jesus, which may offer some comfort to you.
    Just back it up if they ask about it, but definitely go!

ReputationRep:
    One of the specialties of the Cambridge Engineering course is Energy, in particular to do with renewable energy etc, so it will have done no harm at all.

ReputationRep:
    So if people on here tell you to skip your interview you will????Most of my tutors have told me that i am not the type of candidate that medical schools want...but i applied!!I am not going to base my opinion on what my counsellor says..they dont know anything.Good luck for your interview!

ReputationRep:
    I got my interview coming up on 12th december at Jesus College.....wondering whether to go or not.
    Jesus college is the bomb!! :top:

Definitely go... you'll love it there. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Why are people even giving serious answers to such a stupid question?
    Because they're not angry little slugs like you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calabash)
    Because they're not angry little slugs like you
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys thanks for all your comfort! It's just that when people like student cousellors, people who know cambridge better than you tell you not to apply........ you do tend to take it seriously and I was quite depressed after that.
    The worst part is that I'm an international applicant so I'm going to waste some money on accommodation and flight costs. And if I do all that and then get rejected, I'm going to let my parents down

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys thanks for all your comfort! It's just that when people like student cousellors, people who know cambridge better than you tell you not to apply........ you do tend to take it seriously and I was quite depressed after that.
    The worst part is that I'm an international applicant so I'm going to waste some money on accommodation and flight costs. And if I do all that and then get rejected, I'm going to let my parents down
    Well just make sure you aren't this negative in the interview or else you definitely won't get in.

ReputationRep:
    You got an interview at Cambridge and you're not off your head happy.

I call a troll.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.