Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so i'm doing a lab report about dropping pieces of paper and I'm changing the surface area to see how it affects the time taken to fall from a controlled height

BUT I never know how to interpret my graphs.
    The equation of my trend line is 0.0008x + 1.0842
    and R^2 value is 0.9136

and not surprisingly there is strong positive correlation between SA and the time.

Can anybody explain to me how I can interpret this information and form a conclusion? Sorry that the info is pretty limited...

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What's the R^2 value?
    You could say that as surface area increases time increases but SA is not directly proportional to time.

ReputationRep:
    well by the looks of it (from your data), surface area hardly changes the time taken to fall (to such an extend i'd claim it doesn't)

(Original post by lydia28)
      so i'm doing a lab report about dropping pieces of paper and I'm changing the surface area to see how it affects the time taken to fall from a controlled height

BUT I never know how to interpret my graphs.
      The equation of my trend line is 0.0008x + 1.0842
      and R^2 value is 0.9136

and not surprisingly there is strong positive correlation between SA and the time.

Can anybody explain to me how I can interpret this information and form a conclusion? Sorry that the info is pretty limited...

Thanks
      Could you say what you plotted on the graph?
      I assume it was time (seconds) on the vertical axis, and SA on the horizontal.
      Were the units for SA in metres squared or something else?
      What height did you drop the paper from?
      How many data points did you have on the graph?
      How many readings did you take for each point?
      Have you estimated the uncertainty or errors?

Sorry for all the questions.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.