Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i'm planning on taking a stroll to comet tomorrow to pick up a nice new television and i have a few questions regarding their 6 month plan.

So it's buy now and pay in 6 months, the usual malarkey.

Is it interest free for that whole 6 month period as long as i pay it off?

And i've been living in my current flat since september 1st, and paying direct debits to Sky, BT and o2. And payments to Scottish Power.

Will i qualify for credit? it's a fair walk to Comet so i don't want to go all that way to be turned down.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have proof of employment you will most likely be turned down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzie101)
    Unless you have proof of employment you will most likely be turned down
    Such as a payslip?

ReputationRep:
    I would take it in case you need it, you will probably be asked to fill out an application form in which you will have you give your employment details details etc. I dont know if it is the same with Comet but elsewhere Ive been told you must be working a minimum of 16hours a week to qualify for finance.

I haven't seen this advertised so I don't know the exact terms but in theory if its a straight forward buy now pay later then you will only have interest to pay if you do not pay before the required date (ie six months time), obviously make sure you do because most of these things charge around 29% APR

Out of curiosity are you on the electoral roll either at your parents/previous address or at your flat? - That tends to help a company decided to give you finance. You will probably need to provide address history for the last three years also.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't yu ring them and ask about it before you leave, ask what you need for proof, or the website should give you terms and conditions to give you an idea.

ReputationRep:
    Got a link to the info, and I'll have a proper read Tom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    Got a link to the info, and I'll have a proper read Tom.
    Hi Taiko

I've decided to go for a credit card instead which everyone is recommending as a better solution and as the bank of scotland do one that has 0% interest for 10 months it's better anyway.

Thing is i'm (currently) in part time work at TKmaxx. With a gross contract salary of £5k which wont be for long but is still rather pants. Do you think they'll give me a credit card?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)
    Hi Taiko

I've decided to go for a credit card instead which everyone is recommending as a better solution and as the bank of scotland do one that has 0% interest for 10 months it's better anyway.

Thing is i'm (currently) in part time work at TKmaxx. With a gross contract salary of £5k which wont be for long but is still rather pants. Do you think they'll give me a credit card?
    Very unlikely, they may offer you one but not a 0% one. It will have high interest.

ReputationRep:
    its unlikely you will be offered a credit card at 0% and unlikely to have a very high limit on it - how much is the tv? I got a credit card when I opened my student account and it was only like £100 limit and interest at 30% I think - needless to say I never used it.
    You'd be better off trying comet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)
    Hello, i'm planning on taking a stroll to comet tomorrow to pick up a nice new television and i have a few questions regarding their 6 month plan.

So it's buy now and pay in 6 months, the usual malarkey.

Is it interest free for that whole 6 month period as long as i pay it off?

And i've been living in my current flat since september 1st, and paying direct debits to Sky, BT and o2. And payments to Scottish Power.

Will i qualify for credit? it's a fair walk to Comet so i don't want to go all that way to be turned down.

hey i used to work at comet before i came to university and my job was to put the credit through!! the amount of students used to come in and get credit and then after the 6months got stung by the interest actually then found out they couldnt afford to pay it back., i was one of them!!

you also get charged to pay it off before the 6months so i would really just wait and save up the money!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 2, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.