Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi all

just wondering if people could shade light on my inquireys, I have been informally asking universitys via e-mail if im elligable for their mech eng courses and most are being very helpfull, (except one who seem to have work experience people handleing their mature student inquierys).

But a few have repeated that even though ive been a practicing engineer for 10years including 7 years as a serving military engineer that I dont have the experience to start a FOUNDATION degree as I need A levels instead of nvq's city&guilds and actual experience, correct me if im wrong, but I thought Foundation degrees were derived for if you did not alreaddy have the grade to start the degree directly?!?!

if im wrong what is the point of this foundation??

Anyone??

ReputationRep:
    A foundation year or course is for people who don't have the qualifications to get onto a degree. A foundation degree is a shorter, more vocational degree which is sometimes sponsored by an employer.

Hope that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Both these answers are inaccurate.

A Foundation Year - is intended for people who don't have the full entry qualifications for the degree that they wish to study. It is basically A level standard.

A Foundation DEGREE - is a qualification in its own right and is the equivalent to the first two years of a degree. It is normally studied full time, though there are courses which are studied part-time but obviously you don't complete them in two years. You also have the option of a Top-Up year which when completed will give you an Honours degree exactly the same as any other Honours degree.

Frankly the admissions office don't seem to know what they are talking about. Have you looked at the entry qualifications for your course in the university prospectus? That might shine some light on the requirements. If you are still left wondering then you need to speak directly to an Admissions tutor or go to an Open Day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.