Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question for David Willetts-classification of science degrees. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if you would be able to help me. I heard that there would be funding cuts for arts and humanities subjects however I am unsure whether this would affect me in my choice of degree. I was wondering if you would be able to tell me what is actually classed as a science in your eyes as the Minister of State for Universities and Science. I will be going on to do an ecology or countryside conservation degree. Would you class this as being a science and therfore not so much affecting by the stop to funding for arts and humanities subjects or not?

Thank you very much
    Tabers

ReputationRep:
    I'd also like to know this, does it include anything called a BSc?

E.g. BSc Business degrees, BSc Economics, BSc Anthropology, BSc Geography, BSc Golf Management, BSc Surf Science...?

Surely then all universities will switch to classifying anything possibly scientific as a BSc in order to get funding?

I know that at some universities students can currently choose whether they would like a BA or BSc in social sciences such as Geography and Anthropology, without having to change any of the modules in their degree.

It seems very unfair that students with perfect grades would be denied funding because they want to study economics or a social science, graduates in which are clearly needed by the Government (for the Civil Service economists programme, etc.) whilst students with much lower grades studying slightly-scientific degrees could have their degrees subsidised by teaching grants, even though the cost to teach the degrees could be the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    I'd also like to know this, does it include anything called a BSc?

E.g. BSc Business degrees, BSc Economics, BSc Anthropology, BSc Geography, BSc Golf Management, BSc Surf Science...?

Surely then all universities will switch to classifying anything possibly scientific as a BSc in order to get funding?

I know that at some universities students can currently choose whether they would like a BA or BSc in social sciences such as Geography and Anthropology, without having to change any of the modules in their degree.

It seems very unfair that students with perfect grades would be denied funding because they want to study economics or a social science, graduates in which are clearly needed by the Government (for the Civil Service economists programme, etc.) whilst students with much lower grades studying slightly-scientific degrees could have their degrees subsidised by teaching grants, even though the cost to teach the degrees could be the same.
    This is a really good point!

ReputationRep:
    I hope you continue funding my BA in Mathematics... :P:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForGreatJustice)
    I hope you continue funding my BA in Mathematics... :P:
    It'd at least make for a definite Daily Mail headline if they didn't!

ReputationRep:
    It's looking more and more likely that he wont answer this :'( It's nearly half past 6 now. And I really wanted to know the answer!

ReputationRep:
    Me too!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.