Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am now out of 6th form, and do not attend university, however I'm getting my ucas sent off in the next few days when my referee writes it. I need a level 2 qualification in maths instead of a C at GCSE, does anyone have any ideas how I can do this before this coming august? I emailed one of the universities who replied and informed me of learn direct, but i tried to register here and said I had to be 19, by August of this year, is this correct?

ReputationRep:
    Erm I thought a C grade or above in GCSE is a Level 2 qualification in Maths

ReputationRep:
    I've just googled and this comes back
    Level 2 is the same level as Key Skills or NVQ Level 2,
    GNVQ Intermediate or GCSE grade A*-C.. The only reason you would have to re sit it would be if you had left school some time ago and the skills might have lapsed. Is the university confused by something you have said to them?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Level 2 equals maths GCSE grade C or above.
    Most colleges will do basic literacy and basic numeracy courses, probably a couple of hours a week, for free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightOfDark)
    I am now out of 6th form, and do not attend university, however I'm getting my ucas sent off in the next few days when my referee writes it. I need a level 2 qualification in maths instead of a C at GCSE, does anyone have any ideas how I can do this before this coming august? I emailed one of the universities who replied and informed me of learn direct, but i tried to register here and said I had to be 19, by August of this year, is this correct?
    For the level 2 Basic Skills adult numeracy qualification they are correct, from the start of this academic year you must be 19 for Learn Direct or Adult education services to be funded to support you.

Adult Education in my area (Buckinghamshire) also offer the level 2 Functional Skills numeracy qualification that is funded for 16-19. Try contacting your local adult ed. Alternatively resit your GCSE maths as a private candidate next summer.

ReputationRep:
    A level 2 in maths is the equivalent to a GCSE in maths grade A*-C. So you should'nt be worried. In fact a GCSE is more valued so I don't know what your University is asking :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    For the level 2 Basic Skills adult numeracy qualification they are correct, from the start of this academic year you must be 19 for Learn Direct or Adult education services to be funded to support you.

Adult Education in my area (Buckinghamshire) also offer the level 2 Functional Skills numeracy qualification that is funded for 16-19. Try contacting your local adult ed. Alternatively resit your GCSE maths as a private candidate next summer.
    Yeah, i miss the date I can do it by a few months.
    Thanks, I''ll have a look into that tomorrow. I am going to try and resit gcse maths which i would prefer, I just wasn't sure whether I'd be able to do it all by august 2011 when they accept or decline all the offers at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahxjojo)
    A level 2 in maths is the equivalent to a GCSE in maths grade A*-C. So you should'nt be worried. In fact a GCSE is more valued so I don't know what your University is asking :confused:
    Some uni's accept an equivalent to C in GCSE maths, such as level 2 numeracy. It's just finding a place that will accept me which will be able to do it in time for the next years entry.

ReputationRep:
    Functional SKills

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=LightOfDark;28704668]Some uni's accept an equivalent to C in GCSE maths, such as level 2 numeracy. It's just finding a place that will accept me which will be able to do it in time for the next years entry.[/

There are a number of Universities such as Metropolitan Universities that accept the equivalent to a GCSE. You just have to do your research. I'm sure college's offer an evening session or check at your local library. I'm currently doing Funtional skills level 2 in maths which is an equivalent as there were no spaces available for me to the GCSE. But good luck. Hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightOfDark)
    Some uni's accept an equivalent to C in GCSE maths, such as level 2 numeracy. It's just finding a place that will accept me which will be able to do it in time for the next years entry.
    There are a number of Universities such as Metropolitan Universities that accept the equivalent to a GCSE. You just have to do your research. I'm sure college's offer an evening session or check at your local library. I'm currently doing Funtional skills level 2 in maths which is an equivalent as there were no spaces available for me to the GCSE. But good luck. Hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahxjojo)
    I've applied to do functional skills, are your doing it by a paper exam or online?

Is it hard?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.