Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not being paid after internship - am I being exploited? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Basically I am on a gap year at the moment and I was looking for a really good job to fill my year up with and I found one writing for a really well-known financial website. It was a graduate internship but I thought **** it, I'll just go for it anyway and submitted some work etc and they offered me the internship!

This was great at first because I really have got good experience out of it and they keep saying how happy they are with me and that I'm the best intern they've had and I don't even have a degree! However, the thing I applied for was a one month internship (Expenses paid) and then would be paid after a month.

I've been working for a month there now and they've paid my expenses but they haven't said anything about money yet. Now, I REALLY need some money - I can't just mooch off my parents forever. Should I approach them with this? I think the fact that I'm not a graduate might mean they don't want to pay me or something... I don't know. But I'm doing so much work for them (5 days a week!) and getting absolutely nada. Feel like I'm being exploited, am I?

What should I do? What should I say?!

ReputationRep:
    How was it advertised, was it advertised that you would get paid? If so, you need to raise this issue and ask your manager when you can expect to get your money.

I dont know how these things work sorry, Im not sure if because it's an internship it gives you the same rights as an employee has, Im not sure.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above poster, politely ask them, it's only fair, but maybe you get paid right at the end of the post?

ReputationRep:
    Typically HR pay roll tends to be mid/end of the month so I would expect the answer to be that they will BACS you whenever they do everyone elses.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.