The Student Room Group

Pure Math, Mech or Stats for STEP?

Poll

Which topic will you most likely choose for STEP

Just curious, which topic, Pure Math, Mechanics and Stats, are you most comfortable with for STEP?

For me, I prefer pure math, since I dun take Mechanics modules for Math and Stats problems seem to be harder.
Original post by superkinetic
Just curious, which topic, Pure Math, Mechanics and Stats, are you most comfortable with for STEP?

For me, I prefer pure math, since I dun take Mechanics modules for Math and Stats problems seem to be harder.

It would make sense to be better at pure maths as the majority of the paper is on pure maths. You could also be fooled to believe you're better at the pure maths because although you can answer a few of them, there's quite a large set to choose from. I think I'm slightly better at pure than mechanics but only just. I don't know enough statistics to make a proper judgement of those questions.
Most people do pure because there's more Qs to choose from and they're more comfortable with pure as it's covered more thoroughly at A-Level (generally). But apparently the easy marks are in the Stats Qs; often they're pretty easy, since people rarely pick them nor look at them. Mechanics is probably the hardest, the crazy moments/tension Qs aren't worth bothering with in an exam IMO.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending