Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i am currently doing a BTEC national Certificate in ICT Practitioners (Systems Support) and am heading towards a Double Distinction.

I have applied for computing courses at several universites including Brighton and Portsmouth (who have offered me places) however i am primarily worried about the course content that could happen on these courses. During the first year of my BTEC we didn't have a very good Programming teacher and programming is the unit of computing that worries me as i do have trouble with it BUT want to learn it.

Is going from a national certificate to a degree too much of a leap? or is it doable with hard work and concentration?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knighted)
    Hello, i am currently doing a BTEC national Certificate in ICT Practitioners (Systems Support) and am heading towards a Double Distinction.

I have applied for computing courses at several universites including Brighton and Portsmouth (who have offered me places) however i am primarily worried about the course content that could happen on these courses. During the first year of my BTEC we didn't have a very good Programming teacher and programming is the unit of computing that worries me as i do have trouble with it BUT want to learn it.

Is going from a national certificate to a degree too much of a leap? or is it doable with hard work and concentration?
    What did you do along side your btec :confused: 2 years doing BTEC national Certificate?

Anyways, i m on my second year of a diploma, and i ve asked questions about Computer Science which has more programming, the leap is big but depending on your motivations towards it will be test, most programming is self taught, and if you don't take the time to do it you will struggle

sorry if i didn't help

ReputationRep:
    Having ICT isn't the best basis for a degree in Computing as they are two different worlds in terms of course content. That said, if they have given you an offer they must think you're capable. There are some courses that require maths at A level, however others require nothing and teach you from the ground up - sounds like the courses you've got offers for will probably expect no previous experience and you'll be fine

In preparation for my degree I'm learning Java and doing a bit of logic/maths in general - knowing how to code and being a little ahead in maths may help you out a lot. The courses that I've applied for don't require prior computing experience/maths, however nothing wrong with getting a head start. Perhaps you could look at the modules that you'll be doing in your first year and see if you can start some of them on your own.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.