Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about getting a perm (or, batting off the images of eighties hair disasters, a permanent wave). My hair used to be naturally curly and ringlett-y which I hated at the time but now long for again. I think I suit wavey/curly hair best but it's a real chore having to curl it with tongs.

this is how it used to be:

i'd like hair like this:

or

but I don't want this:

I mean, where are we with perms these days? I know people make fun of them, but can you get a decent one at a reasonable price, which stays bouncy and curly but isn't a frizzy nest? Does anyone really get them anymore, other than old women?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, that looks nice

I like big lose bouncy curls

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it! I had one done, and for the first 24 hours it was nice. However after that it went all limp and poodley, went frizzy in the rain, killed my hair. My hair was in the most horrendous condition. And then after a few months when it grew out I had straight roots and curly ends, and so needed to straighten my hair, which killed it even more. I would say there would be one day a month where my perm actually looked alright! It definitely had novelty value but it was a huuuuge regret!

ReputationRep:
    I got my hair permed straight a few years back. It damaged it soooo bad. Only just managed to grow out all the dry split hair.

Although a curly perm may be different. Although it may look ridiculous when you start to grow it out.

ReputationRep:
    Hate to be the voice of doom but my mum had a perm in the 80's. Looked amazing when she first had it done, but she has been paying the price since. Her hair is very damaged and dry and she said it was never the same after the perm.

If you want fresh looking bouncy curlys why not put in foam rollers at night?? Great look and no damage?
    Takes about 15min to put them in and just 5min to take them out in the morning. Run your fingers through your hair, a bit of spray and voila

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)
    Don't do it! I had one done, and for the first 24 hours it was nice. However after that it went all limp and poodley, went frizzy in the rain, killed my hair. My hair was in the most horrendous condition. And then after a few months when it grew out I had straight roots and curly ends, and so needed to straighten my hair, which killed it even more. I would say there would be one day a month where my perm actually looked alright! It definitely had novelty value but it was a huuuuge regret!
    Argh. I knew this was true. So things really haven't advanced since then.

Is your hair completely back to normal now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secret_smile)
    If you want fresh looking bouncy curlys why not put in foam rollers at night?? Great look and no damage?
    Takes about 15min to put them in and just 5min to take them out in the morning. Run your fingers through your hair, a bit of spray and voila
    Do those really work? I always thought it was a bit of a fad, and more for giving hair volume (which mine has more than enough of already!) than curls.

I did once sleep with my hair wrapped around pipe-cleaners one time. Never again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booksnob)
    Do those really work? I always thought it was a bit of a fad, and more for giving hair volume (which mine has more than enough of already!) than curls.

I once did sleep with my hair wrapped around pipe-cleaners one time. Never again!
    lol! I once used those bendy pipecleaner hair curlers... I woke up in the morning and I looked a bit like little bo peep!! They tend to give much too tight curls for my liking.

The other curlers you can use are the self grip velcro kind.... and they give volume but don't give much curl.

The ones I find the best are the sponge/foam rollers like these: http://www.hairadditions.co.uk/hair-...sponge-rollers

The bigger/looser the curls you want the bigger the roller you use.

I use them a lot and they work brilliantly. I have very heavy hair so when I use curling tongs the curl doesn't last very long at all, but with these curlers it last all day

ReputationRep:
    lol! I once used those bendy pipecleaner hair curlers... I woke up in the morning and I looked a bit like little bo peep!! They tend to give much too tight curls for my liking.

The other curlers you can use are the self grip velcro kind.... and they give volume but don't give much curl.

The ones I find the best are the sponge/foam rollers like these: http://www.hairadditions.co.uk/hair-...sponge-rollers

The bigger/looser the curls you want the bigger the roller you use.

I use them a lot and they work brilliantly. I have very heavy hair so when I use curling tongs the curl doesn't last very long at all, but with these curlers it last all day
    Thanks for all this info. Pardon my ignorance, but should your hair be a little damp when you put them in?

Little Bo Peep - I couldn't put it better myself But I looked a little Medusa-like too.

Have you ever tried curling with GHDs or normal straighteners?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all this info. Pardon my ignorance, but should your hair be a little damp when you put them in?

Little Bo Peep - I couldn't put it better myself But I looked a little Medusa-like too.

Have you ever tried curling with GHDs or normal straighteners?
    Yeah if you spray each section lightly before you put the curlers in it'll help give a better curl, but don't over do it otherwise if some sections are still a bit damp in the morning the curl won't hold.

And yes I have tried it and it never works... I just think my hair is too heavy!
    lol, I went to the hairdressers the other day who asked me whether I know how to curl my hair with GHDs and I told him it never works and he said "Ha, trust me! I can get it to work"
    40min later I just had some kinks and a couple of floppy twists! So if a Toni and Guy hairdresser can't get my hair to curl with straighteners I won't waste my time trying anymore! :p:
    Have you ever given it a go?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah if you spray each section lightly before you put the curlers in it'll help give a better curl, but don't over do it otherwise if some sections are still a bit damp in the morning the curl won't hold.

And yes I have tried it and it never works... I just think my hair is too heavy!
    lol, I went to the hairdressers the other day who asked me whether I know how to curl my hair with GHDs and I told him it never works and he said "Ha, trust me! I can get it to work"
    40min later I just had some kinks and a couple of floppy twists! So if a Toni and Guy hairdresser can't get my hair to curl with straighteners I won't waste my time trying anymore! :p:
    Have you ever given it a go?
    Haha, I bet he was embarrassed
    I've given it a go but it's a wee bit too complicated for me.. I usually just stick with old fashioned curling tongs, but it's a lot of bother so I'm usually just scraping my hair back these days.

Thanks for the tips =)

ReputationRep:
    Just because you posted a picture of the love of my life, Regina, I'm going to say go for it!

ReputationRep:
    A couple of my friends have had their hair permed curly. It looked good and their hair didn't seem damaged because of it. The curls started really start and they gradually loosened a bit, but still stayed curly until they had all grown and been cut out. My friends really liked them though I have also had my hair permed straight and my hair is in the best condition tis ever been in As long as you make sure you condition your hair well and go somewhere reputable to have the perm done you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    Argh. I knew this was true. So things really haven't advanced since then.

Is your hair completely back to normal now?
    My hair is completely back to normal now, but that is only because I had a drastic haircut (from chest length to chin length) to get rid of a lot of it. I was still unhappy and had a hell of a lot of dead hair and so had to wait a few months for the damaged bits to grow out and get it cut short again. Finally 2 years later I am free of the perm!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.