Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I went to the store and handled a few cameras... I've narrowed it down to the Nikon D5000 and the Canon 500D. I like them both equally and am really torn as to which one to get! Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    i think between nikon and canon it's personal opinion as they are both generally equally matched.

I would choose the canon myself as there are lots of great second hand lenses and equipment for quite cheap if you search around ebay and canon are a great line of cameras to get started in so you know what your doing when/if you upgrade to a more advanced model.

ReputationRep:
    Skip the D5000 and go straight to the D3100, far better in every aspect.

As Kazza said, it's mostly personal opinion at this point, personally I prefer Nikons as I find them to handle better but that's just me

Also to match his point, Nikon have been using their F mount for an incredible amount of time now and you can get lenses for as little as a tenner that'll work just fine on even the newest cameras, mostly which will only work on M and through manual focusing, however.

Either way you're going to get some stunning stuff coming out from them, I've had my D40 for about two years now, since I was like 14 and I've managed to get some nice stuff from it, and that's just a £200 DSLR (Flickr is here)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillKail)
    Skip the D5000 and go straight to the D3100, far better in every aspect.

As Kazza said, it's mostly personal opinion at this point, personally I prefer Nikons as I find them to handle better but that's just me

Also to match his point, Nikon have been using their F mount for an incredible amount of time now and you can get lenses for as little as a tenner that'll work just fine on even the newest cameras, mostly which will only work on M and through manual focusing, however.

Either way you're going to get some stunning stuff coming out from them, I've had my D40 for about two years now, since I was like 14 and I've managed to get some nice stuff from it, and that's just a £200 DSLR (Flickr is here)
    Wrong, unfortunately. I was pretty certain the newer budget DSLRs from Nikon with the AF-S mount didn't work with older F-mount lenses so I chucked my 28mm f/2.8 on the D5000 at work and the shutter just wouldn't fire, whatever mode it was in. If you want to use old lenses then Canon is the way to go because you can use all the old Nikkor stuff, plus thousands of other lenses in different mounts with the right adapter, and you get aperture priority too so the shutter speed sets itself to whatever is needed from the aperture you set on the lens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Wrong, unfortunately. I was pretty certain the newer budget DSLRs from Nikon with the AF-S mount didn't work with older F-mount lenses so I chucked my 28mm f/2.8 on the D5000 at work and the shutter just wouldn't fire, whatever mode it was in. If you want to use old lenses then Canon is the way to go because you can use all the old Nikkor stuff, plus thousands of other lenses in different mounts with the right adapter, and you get aperture priority too so the shutter speed sets itself to whatever is needed from the aperture you set on the lens.
    Sounds like it's likely to be that very certain combination, AFS is just the name given to the lenses that contain an auto-focus motor for usage with the lower end models (namely the D40, D60, D3100, D5000 and so on)

I've been using an M42 screw fit to Nikon F-mount adapter for an old 70-200 telephoto that I picked up for next to nothing and it seems to be working fine, although be sure to pick up an adapter with the focusing correction lens built in so that you can focus to infinity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillKail)
    Sounds like it's likely to be that very certain combination, AFS is just the name given to the lenses that contain an auto-focus motor for usage with the lower end models (namely the D40, D60, D3100, D5000 and so on)

I've been using an M42 screw fit to Nikon F-mount adapter for an old 70-200 telephoto that I picked up for next to nothing and it seems to be working fine, although be sure to pick up an adapter with the focusing correction lens built in so that you can focus to infinity.
    AFS means that there is no in-body focus motor and that the camera needs a chip in the lens to work properly, IIRC, although that may be another version of the F-mount in Nikon's ridiculous history of d**king around with it. . Unless you paid a lot (over £150) for the adapter, the correction lens in it will be of very poor quality and will cripple the optical quality of whatever lens you mount to it. Again, Canon wins over here as most lenses will mount to it and give infinity focus without the need for corrective elements and thus retain their full image quality. I find it ironic that Canons work with the old Nikon glass far better than Nikons do - so much so that people with a lot of old Nikon lenses often buy Canon cameras to use them on. For an extra taste of irony, the old Canon FD mount won't mount to Canon EF without the corrective lens for infinity, again crippling the lens quality - especially when wide open.

ReputationRep:
    D5000!! I love my Nikon D5000... if there were a fire, that camera and my laptop with all my pictures on it would be what I saved.

I think I was in a similar dilemma when I bought my camera... and yeah, it's just down really to what you feel best with Nikon or Canon. I felt best with the Nikon... it fitted my hands in a certain perfect way.

ReputationRep:
    As everyone has said, between Canon and Nikon, with the 2 you are looking at it will simple be down to personal opinion. I started out with a second hand Canon 350D (and as others have said it is easy to pick up second hand canon lenses etc.) but after playing with my mates Nikon D300s :love: I prefer the Nikon interface and controls to Canon's.

So really it all depends on how you feel with the Camera

ReputationRep:
    Go into a shop and see which feels best, I personally preferred Canon.

ReputationRep:
    Nikon bodies will work with pretty much any Nikkor lenses, some won't Autofocus or Meter but otherwise they will work alright.

Here's Uncle Ken's compatibility chart:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/com...-lens.htm#dslr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReddDraggon)
    Nikon bodies will work with pretty much any Nikkor lenses, some won't Autofocus or Meter but otherwise they will work alright.

Here's Uncle Ken's compatibility chart:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/com...-lens.htm#dslr
    I still find it ironic that AI/s and before lenses are better supported by Canon than they are by Nikon across their respective ranges :p: I dunno what I was doing wrong in the shop but my 28mm f/2.8 would flat out refuse to work on the D5000 I tried it on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.