Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Mr Willetts,

It is clear that science will become even more important in the future than it is now for our economy. The space industry alone is predicted to bring tens upon tens of billions of pounds to the British economy.

How will your government, in a time of austerity, ensure that science and technology in Britain is adequately funded and will you look at policies such as tax breaks for technology companies, games industry so that we can compete with other countries who are doing such things.

I would also like to ask you why you and your party felt the need to ring fence the NHS budget when organisations such as the British Medical Association feel it is unnecessary and why you are keeping the 50p tax band when it has cost the Treasury £4.5bn.

I am a Conservative Party member and to me it just looks like my party is playing politics rather than focusing on economics in regards to the NHS and taxation.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously unimpressed that my question wasn't answered.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Mr Willetts,

It is clear that science will become even more important in the future than it is now for our economy. The space industry alone is predicted to bring tens upon tens of billions of pounds to the British economy.

How will your government, in a time of austerity, ensure that science and technology in Britain is adequately funded and will you look at policies such as tax breaks for technology companies, games industry so that we can compete with other countries who are doing such things.

I would also like to ask you why you and your party felt the need to ring fence the NHS budget when organisations such as the British Medical Association feel it is unnecessary and why you are keeping the 50p tax band when it has cost the Treasury £4.5bn.

I am a Conservative Party member and to me it just looks like my party is playing politics rather than focusing on economics in regards to the NHS and taxation.
    The government can fund STEM all it wants but that does not address the fundamental problem: a lack of these skills in Britain and a lack of interest in increasing these skills.

What is harming science and technology firms is a cap on skilled workers immigrating into the country. Britain isn't producing enough of these workers and if companies can't import enough to make up for the deficit then they'll have to consider moving overseas.

I'm also disappointed that your question never got answered, although I suspect that this is because the government don't have an answer and probably aren't even willing to admit that it's a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    The government can fund STEM all it wants but that does not address the fundamental problem: a lack of these skills in Britain and a lack of interest in increasing these skills.

What is harming science and technology firms is a cap on skilled workers immigrating into the country. Britain isn't producing enough of these workers and if companies can't import enough to make up for the deficit then they'll have to consider moving overseas.

I'm also disappointed that your question never got answered, although I suspect that this is because the government don't have an answer and probably aren't even willing to admit that it's a problem.
    Don't get me wrong, I oppose the cap - I think it is far too rigid and I have been of the opinion that the brightest and richest people in the world should live in Britain - we should encourage them there.

But we need to ensure Britain is competitive. But then again, I am coming of the view that we need mass reform of the education system - we need to move away from standardised thinking and testing, standardised treatment of children and move towards more divergent thinking, towards customised testing, towards more natural working.

Why, for example, do we educate children by age? At an age, you have have some children who are fantastic at some disciplines but poor at others but we consider this acceptable... why don't we educate people based on ability? Why do we look for the narrow?

I won't get into this now, but I think we need to do a lot of work. To come to the issue of tuition fees and university funding, I would have no issue with the state funding it entirely if we could afford it - however, we cannot.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.