Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    if i get a fact from a book, then do i just write the researchers name or the persons book whos its in..ill give an example..

as many as one in five will experience depression at some point in their lives (Bebbington et al, 1989)........ but this is written in paul gilberts book about depression....

so when i write this in my essay do i just put bebbington et al or what?

ReputationRep:
    Is Paul Gilberts the editor of the book? If you're citing from a chapter written by a specific author within his book, then you'd cite Bebbington et al.

So in your bibliography it will be as follows:
    Bebbington, A. et al. (1989) 'Title of chapter', in Gilberts, P. (ed.) Title of book, Publisher: Place of publication, pp 34-63

ReputationRep:
    what is harvard referencing ?
    Is this topic for pollusion in the seaes?
    have any soures information about that topic?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    There is definitely a thread about this somewhere else.

Check your university regulations - here we have a special referencing system that no-one else has! (Named, aptly, Coventry University Harvard Referencing System...)

It might be that you cite the original author (Babbington et al., 1989) in the text, footnote the original article, then use the extra book in the bibliography. That's how I'd do it anyway, and it makes sense.

Check though.

ReputationRep:
    have you information of pollusion in seses?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nsd)
    Marine Pollution? If you want help on that topic then go to the appropriate subforum in Study Help (I'm assuming Geograhy). You're not going to get much of a reply in a thread about something completely different (referencing).

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.