The Student Room Group

US Senators call for Wikileaks to face criminal charges

US Senators call for Wikileaks to face criminal charges

By Toby Harnden in Washington 10:09PM GMT 28 Nov 2010

"Leaking the material is deplorable," Senator Lindsay Graham of South Carolina, a Republican, told Fox News. "The people at WikiLeaks could have blood on their hands ... People who do this are low on the food chain as far as I'm concerned. If you can prosecute them, let's try."

His Democratic colleague Senator Claire McCaskill of Missouri agreed with him and said she hoped "we can find out where this is coming from and go after them with the force of law". She added that "the people who do these document leaks need to do a gut check about their patriotism".

Representative Peter King of New York, a life-long supporter of Sinn Fein, the political wing of the IRA, called on Hillary Clinton, the US Secretary of State, to designate WikiLeaks a "Foreign Terrorist Organisation" outlawed in the US.

Double standards?

Link

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Telling the truth isn't patriotic, apparently.
Funny how the govts. of the world want to know everything about their people, but don't like transparency on their behalf, ain't it?
Reply 3
This is so wrong it's unbelievable :facepalm:

"Let's protect your freedom of speech but I won't let you use it."
Reply 4
I say the US Senate should face criminal charges.

As expected, all the attention was given to "how could the information get out" instead of the substance of it. Classic example of shooting the messenger and it's really alarming that our so called "free media" is implicitly joining in, in condemning the leak, especially I sense from the BBC.
I love wikileaks
Reply 6
Freedom of the press is enshrined in the US constitution. Thus it is these Senators who's patriotism should be called into question, not those exercising their constitutional right to reveal the truth.

Edit: How about whoever negged me actually offers a counter argument? Negging somebody just because you disagree is pathetic.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Broderss
This is so wrong it's unbelievable :facepalm:

"Let's protect your freedom of speech but I won't let you use it."

evrything want beta than exception.
Hehe... those slags. (Not the wikileaks people duh)
Reply 9
Original post by jolteon
evrything want beta than exception.

nothing went butter then inspections
Reply 10
:facepalm: how have people not yet worked out that Wikileaks is a modified limited hangout?
It's obviously psychological warfare designed to spread disinformation and present it as "truth", increase support for a war in Iran, and painting Pakistan as a significant danger.

Hasn't anyone paused to think why it's such a huge P.R success for the Israel lobby and maybe causing only a slight embarrassment for the U.S government which will quickly be forgotten? Will anyone please mention one thing this leak has apparently told us what we didn't know already? And how it isn't anything other than blatant manufactured propaganda.
Reply 11
Original post by Broderss
nothing went butter then inspections

^_______________________________^
Reply 12
Original post by Stefan1991
:facepalm: how have people not yet worked out that Wikileaks is a modified limited hangout?
It's obviously psychological warfare designed to spread disinformation and present it as "truth", increase support for a war in Iran, and painting Pakistan as a significant danger.

Hasn't anyone paused to think why it's such a huge P.R success for the Israel lobby and maybe causing only a slight embarrassment for the U.S government which will quickly be forgotten? Will anyone please mention one thing this leak has apparently told us what we didn't know already? And how it isn't anything other than blatant manufactured propaganda.

Its alz da conspirexyyyy 11111. *tinhat*
Reply 13
Original post by Stefan1991
Will anyone please mention one thing this leak has apparently told us what we didn't know already?

True.
Although did we know beforehand that almost the entire Middle East would go so far as to support a strike on Iran? Wait...this is almost starting to seem like an Israeli conspiracy lol.
Classified documents leaked and then distributed; I think the law does apply in democracies, and not just whenever we feel like it. Assange can't be prosecuted I don't think as he didn't steal the documents - I hope the leaker gets thoroughly punished though.

Does wikileaks actually leak anything from any other country or does it focus it's efforts on America? Tbh it strikes me as a organisation with an anti-US agenda acting under the facade of 'holding government to account'.
low on the food chain? Lols the USA government is corrupt, has been for way longer than most people know. They're like the Roman Empire was at its' height, corruption running riot
Reply 16
Original post by Organ
Its alz da conspirexyyyy 11111. *tinhat*

Not exactly an outlandish suggestion, infact it's obvious. Especially since every conclusion the cables lead to was predicted up to 6 months ago. There WILL be an Iran war, and Pakistan's government will be toppled. A strong Pakistan means oil pipelines from the Middle East to China, something the U.S can't have.

Israel and the U.S is pushing for war against Iran for their Nuclear weapons programme, even though there ISN'T an Iranian nuclear weapons programme. It almost started in 2007 when that U.S B-52 bomber loaded with Nukes almost made it to Iran. Nuking Iran to destroy their imaginary nukes, the irony.
When you challenge the status quo, this is what you get? Everyone knows how America thinks, their imperialist interests have always been evident.
Original post by Beska
Telling the truth isn't patriotic, apparently.

That's not the issue, it's how they got the info which is the problem.
quite rich coming from a nation who seemingly feels that imperialism is a pastime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending