Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is English Lang & Lit really that bad to pick? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to do English Literature on it's own, but the college I want to go to doesn't offer it, which is pretty annoying. They only offer English Language and Literature.

Loads of people have advised me against it, saying it's a lot less respected to Uni's... My question is, is it really that bad? How much will it affect me?

(my other subjects are History, Geography and either Business Studies/Government & Politics)

ReputationRep:
    I'd say its a good subject specially because of your choice of other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends entirely on what you're hoping to do in the future with those particular A-Levels. Personally, I'd say (having looked at your other choices) that it wouldn't be such a bad thing for you to take the Lang / Lit combination. Forget which is the most respected (to a certain extent ) and opt for what you think you'll enjoy and / or do best at OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ktlaurenroe)
    I wanted to do English Literature on it's own, but the college I want to go to doesn't offer it, which is pretty annoying. They only offer English Language and Literature.

Loads of people have advised me against it, saying it's a lot less respected to Uni's... My question is, is it really that bad? How much will it affect me?

(my other subjects are History, Geography and either Business Studies/Government & Politics)
    I think you'll be OK as your other subjects are pretty sound. From a respected by universities point of view, you would probably be better doing Government and Politics rather than Business Studies as universities don't like (as much!) subjects with 'studies on the end'.

Good Luck!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    It does depend on what you're hoping to do in the future. Are there any other schools/colleges/sixth forms near you where you could go that you could study English Literature by itself? If not, take the combination and your other 2 subjects and then I would suggest Government and Politics, because a) less people have it and b) unis don't like business studies unless you're applying to do business studies. Those look like some good subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviluck)
    I think you'll be OK as your other subjects are pretty sound. From a respected by universities point of view, you would probably be better doing Government and Politics rather than Business Studies as universities don't like (as much!) subjects with 'studies on the end'.

Good Luck!
    thanks! I think I'll still pick it then, and probably do G&P too. Thanks everyone who answered too

ReputationRep:
    Language would be perhaps less respected if it was on it's own, but because it's combined it's fine.

Just like business is a blacklisted "mickey mouse" subject, but the moment you pair it with economics it somehow transforms into something clever. Which is good for me XD

ReputationRep:
    yh and like thats why they now have this new Business n Economics togeda as one combined subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueJoker)
    Language would be perhaps less respected if it was on it's own, but because it's combined it's fine.

Just like business is a blacklisted "mickey mouse" subject, but the moment you pair it with economics it somehow transforms into something clever. Which is good for me XD
    Haha, I don't even get why business is so bad to pick! Can't really argue though :')

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I actually find the business side of my course harder than the economics!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.