Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just checked my e-mails and I've been charged £116 for the cleaning of sick from carpets. Firstly I take issue at the cost as a whole, my friend who stayed was sick, but not everywhere as the charge would imply. Furthermore, I cleaned most of it up myself on the night, and could very easily have bought some shake and vac from Tesco and done it myself for maybe £20 at the most, however, was instructed by residence admins that this was not necessary, as the hall would provide carpet cleaner for me to use. This didn't progress.
    A couple of weeks ago I received an e-mail informing me that a charge would be incurred for the carpet and toilet cleaning. I responded noting that I had cleaned the carpet to a decent standard on the night, and that the toilets didn't need any cleaning, and I hadn't seen the contracted cleaners go in there (it's linoleum and they were a carpet cleaning firm for gods sake), but requesting further details of the charge so I could budget or challenge it. I received no reply.

I was wondering what people think I should do, the payment is due by Dec 13th, but I'm living of £1 a week for the rest of semester so there's no way i can pay that. As soon as the office opens I'll be down to challenge them, and will instruct my bank to put a block on my account. Basically I'm just not going to pay it and see how far it goes. I was wondering if anybody had any information of charges in other halls, particularly Fife Park maybe, as I detect the University trying to get more money from certain residences, or that our ***** Residence Manager is on the fiddle.

ReputationRep:
    ultimately you can continue not to pay, but they can also kick you out.. it's a sad fact of the lack of competition in the housing market in st andrews, residential services are in the far stronger position

ReputationRep:
    Found out recently that other people have also been charged. One guy £220 for being sick in a couple of places. Another friend £95 for being sick in his room and another guy £100 for spilling Ribena. They're completely taking the mick, I rang a local carpet cleaning firm and they quoted me £45 including call out charge, I'd expect the Uni to pay less than this in some kind of contract. If it comes to the point of being kicked out I'm sure I could kick up a bit of a local media fuss; "St Andrews evicts student who couldn't afford to pay unjust fine"

ReputationRep:
    i threw up in my room in first year, the trick is not to tell anyone and clean it up yourself.

ReputationRep:
    How much of a written record do you have of your correspondence regarding the issue?

I would try communicating the sequence of events in a written letter: emphasise that you were proactive and responsible, that you were specifically told you didn't need to buy your own cleaning products and that they would be provided for you to use, and demonstrate that the reason the carpet was not cleaned sooner is because the university failed to provide the products - therefore any professional cleaning was a direct result of their lack of action, and thus they should be responsible for any charges for the cleaning service. Except don't say it all in one sentence like I just did

I think if you communicate all that politely they'll struggle to justify charging you (it's time to use the 'I'm afraid there's been a terrible misunderstanding, I do help you'll be able to help be resolve this situation, thank you ever so much chaps' tone of writing ). If you challenge the charge in writing then you're probably safe to refuse them payment until they resolve the dispute.

Good luck getting it sorted

Edit: for future reference, I suspect half of the reason the plastic paper bins are provided is because they make great receptacles for fluids... >_>

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you're in the right on this one but one thing to bear in mind is you won't be allowed to graduate if you have outstanding debts to the university (well, they say that, but I discovered a 50p library fine on my record against a book I never took out from back in 2007 and they let me graduate).

As long as you get a written challenge in before the payment due date they shouldn't penalise you any further for non-payment.

ReputationRep:
    I left an ice lolly on my floor overnight once, cleaned up the mess with some Vanish and heard nothing more of it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.