Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Clegg urged to oppose tuition fees rise. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Over 100 Lib Dem party members have called for Nick Clegg to oppose the Tories' tuition fees rise over fears they will face a decade of political exile in retaliation for their broken promises if he doesn't.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20101129/...e-dba1618.html

Come on Nick, you still have a chance to salvage your party's integrity even if it's too late to salvage your own.

ReputationRep:
    Hey its you again which offers are you accepting right now Nick is pretty well hated but if he even tried to oppose the rise i would love him sooo much

ReputationRep:
    The Lib dems dont have 100 MP's. Its 100 party activists, so this is hardly news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stasiaxx)
    Hey its you again which offers are you accepting right now Nick is pretty well hated but if he even tried to oppose the rise i would love him sooo much
    If I get into Durham, I will probably go there. Although I will visit Royal Holloway and Durham before making my final decision.

Clegg made a promise to his voters and he should keep it, simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    Even if the vote to raise fee's doesn't go through, uni funding has still been cut (and that's part of the budget so won't be opposed).
    I'm completely against the cuts, but leaving the universities with a black hole of no funding is even worse for our education system than charging up to 9k a year.

ReputationRep:

i mean come on, he pledged against it, so he's just going to look like a complete fail. i call mutiny if he doesn't
    i voted lib dems and i want them to keep their promises :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, just seeing the name "Clegg" written down makes me convulse with hatred these days. Seriously, what a w*nker.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Erebos;28703069

Clegg made a promise to his voters and he should keep it, simple as that.[/QUOTE]

If (by some miracle) he had become priminister and he turned his pack on his policies he would be lying to the people who elected him he may only be deputy but i still think he was a duty to te people that voted for him

ReputationRep:
    lib dems dont have 100 mp's, if anything he won't want to throw away his parties only chance of power and in my opinion is likely to join the tories in the next election. Come on Nick you know it makes sense to join the tories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    The Lib dems dont have 100 MP's. Its 100 party activists, so this is hardly news.
    100 PPC's though-so senior party activists and, supposedly, the future of his party. Pretty big news considering how few MP's they have.

ReputationRep:
    Are the Lib Dems still trailing around the 10% mark?

I said it back in May...this unholy alliance between so-called "liberals" and Conservatives for a little short term power will wreck both Clegg and the Lib Dems...pity he couldn't do some long term thinking.

Its getting serious. There are apparently 4 Lib Dem MPs planning to call a Vote of No Confidence in Clegg - there are 6 MPs required to call it. - There is enough here to kill Clegg off completely. - Given the standing of Clegg and that there are big wigs willing to replace him, I'd make it 33-1 that he is not Leader of the Lib Dems by the time of the referendum.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cordeliacork)
      Urgh, just seeing the name "Clegg" written down makes me convulse with hatred these days. Seriously, what a w*nker.
      I completely and utterly agree

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
      Its getting serious. There are apparently 4 Lib Dem MPs planning to call a Vote of No Confidence in Clegg - there are 6 MPs required to call it. - There is enough here to kill Clegg off completely. - Given the standing of Clegg and that there are big wigs willing to replace him, I'd make it 33-1 that he is not Leader of the Lib Dems by the time of the referendum.
      Where did you hear that?

ReputationRep:
      Fees debate on BBC Parliament now.

(Original post by DaveSmith99)
        Where did you hear that?
        LD friend of mine. - States that the same No of MPs required to stand are required - with the LDs having 57 seats this means 6 would trigger the vote.

The thing remains is that if Clegg is forced to resign then what likelihood is there of the LDs remaining in the coalition? I can see them giving the Tories confidence and supply, but not the formal coalition.

The thing is that the Lib Dems cant afford the election now - even if dumping Clegg happens they will need to work to regain the trust diminshed recently.

ReputationRep:
        LD friend of mine. - States that the same No of MPs required to stand are required - with the LDs having 57 seats this means 6 would trigger the vote.

The thing remains is that if Clegg is forced to resign then what likelihood is there of the LDs remaining in the coalition? I can see them giving the Tories confidence and supply, but not the formal coalition.

The thing is that the Lib Dems cant afford the election now - even if dumping Clegg happens they will need to work to regain the trust diminshed recently.
        So your friend is a LD mp and he told you that information...dont you think their signed to secrecy. I smell bull ****.

(Original post by The_Great_One)
          So your friend is a LD mp and he told you that information...dont you think their signed to secrecy. I smell bull Sh*t.
          LD Member. I never said anything about them being MP did I?

The Leadership rules are actually pretty accessible, given they were published three years ago in the contest?

ReputationRep:
          LD Member. I never said anything about them being MP did I?

The Leadership rules are actually pretty accessible, given they were published three years ago in the contest?
          Members dont get access to that information only people on the cabinet. Also don't you think they realised they were going to raise fees when they signed the agreement...thats why they're allowed to not vote for it if they want. Also wasn;t it Nick Clegg and the lead party members who actually negotiated for a coalition.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.