Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys/girls,

Im currently 17 years old, and been looking around for weeks and weeks for car insurance.

Im turning 18 soon, so i've been entering details for a 18 year old.

These are common details i've entered:-

Full name as usual,
    D.O.B. 17/4/1992
    Male,
    Single,
    Part-time job,
    Full-time student
    Third Party fire and theft
    Citroen C2 1.1Ltr
    the VERY cheapest quote i've had was £3,263.63 from Endsleigh insurance....

i've searched for lower engined cars, bigger engined cars, hatchbacks, sports.. literally everything and the C2 was the VERY cheapest car on the market. (Even cheaper than a VW Caddy or w/e it was ( a really old beetle look-a-like convertable) 1968 0.6Ltr.) at £3.525.53

I havent a clue how people are getting fully comp for £2,000 or less, Nevermind less than £1,000..

I've been on so many compare websites, direct websites and call-centres... I just dont know what to do But I know ill never afford to pay out over 3 grand for insurance.. :/

Please help!

ReputationRep:
    D.O.B. 17/4/1992
    Male,
    Single,
    Part-time job,
    Full-time student
    Third Party fire and theft
    Citroen C2 1.1Ltr
    There's your problem. :rolleyes:

Comparison websites are overrated in my opinion. Try Direct Line, they aren't on comparison sites and I hear they can be pretty good. Also look at Tesco Value, it's the no-frills version of Tesco insurance. I've used them for three years now as they have been significantly cheaper than anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    There's your problem. :rolleyes:

Comparison websites are overrated in my opinion. Try Direct Line, they aren't on comparison sites and I hear they can be pretty good. Also look at Tesco Value, it's the no-frills version of Tesco insurance. I've used them for three years now as they have been significantly cheaper than anyone else.
    Direct line wont insure me under the age of 21, and with a 21 year olds details its still 1500 quid :/

I've also tried Tesco insurance, which came out at over £4.000 :/

Im extremely confused at the extortionary prices!

Perhaps I should try a different name? LOL insurance companies dont like my name

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried looking at fully-comp insurance? Weirdly it can occasionally be cheaper than 3rd party, fire and theft.

ReputationRep:
    Go ahead and get a quote for fully comprehensive insurance anyway OP whilst you're browsing, because it can sometimes work out much cheaper than TPF&T. Also, try not to rely too heavily on comparison websites, because you can often find better deals without using them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Have you tried looking at fully-comp insurance? Weirdly it can occasionally be cheaper than 3rd party, fire and theft.
    17/4/1992
    male
    Computer engineer full time steel industry
    part time Catering-liscenced
    Voulntary excess £2,000
    Third party fire and theft for a Citroen C2 1.1Ltr
    £3,257.65

Fully comprehensive £6518.21

0-0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Amour Toujours)
    Go ahead and get a quote for fully comprehensive insurance anyway OP whilst you're browsing, because it can sometimes work out much cheaper than TPF&T. Also, try not to rely too heavily on comparison websites, because you can often find better deals without using them.
    Endsleigh's been the cheapsest webiste I've tried DIRECT, and E-Car is the cheapest via Comparison websites.

The cheapest of the two was Endsleigh direct. at over £3000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biker_boy_chris)
    17/4/1992
    male
    Computer engineer full time steel industry
    part time Catering-liscenced
    Voulntary excess £2,000
    Third party fire and theft for a Citroen C2 1.1Ltr
    £3,257.65

Fully comprehensive £6518.21

0-0

Well I did say "occasionally".

There's obviously something that makes you extra-high risk if £3000 is the cheapest you can find. Past accident/conviction? Live in an area with a high crime rate?

ReputationRep:
    No convictions, accidents or losses, As for crime rates... I live in Wales, Valleys in a small town, Crime is pretty low apart from your day to day drunks yobbing around with flagons of 'Bo

:/

ReputationRep:
    Just tried a quote:

Same details as before,

Car: 1995 Nissan Micra 1.0 Ltr 8v
    Car price £500.

Third party fire and theft: £2963.66

YAY LESS THAN £ 3000!! *Sigh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neek123)
    Try this (http://www.youngmarmalade.co.uk/)
    They are a company set up to benefit younger drivers only.
    still, over £3000. :/

ReputationRep:
    Regarding crime rates and location

I tried my adress

Then a very sleepy town in brecon with NO crime what-so-ever...

EXACTLY the same price :/ 0-0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biker_boy_chris)
    Regarding crime rates and location

I tried my adress

Then a very sleepy town in brecon with NO crime what-so-ever...

EXACTLY the same price :/ 0-0
    What have you put for the location of the car when at home? On the street, in a garage, on a private drive, etc...

ReputationRep:
    you are in the same boat as me :/
    2 weeks i ago i checked my insurance on a 1 litre corsa .... around £2200 or £1600 with ikube ( restriction on driving from 11 pm to 5 am)

got paid today and was going to buy the car and double checked my quote ...it was £4200....apparently prices have gone up by nearly 50% today ...due to start of the winter!

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried the Co Op website? I took a policy out with them recently and they were by far the cheapest (around £200 cheaper than comparison websites), plus they do fully comp insurance as standard and also dont ask for occupation when doing the quote. Worth a try anyway.

ReputationRep:
    It's life...am 21 and paying £2400

Mind you am driving a 58 reg Lexus is220D so can't complain much.

Try a TOyota COrolla as a first car- it was my first car and it was reliable, great and the insurance was cheap..around £1300.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.