Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question about higher tuition fees for those applying this year on deferred entry Watch

ReputationRep:
    Will the higher fees apply to those who are applying this year but who will not start their degree until 2012? I have heard that they probably will, but nothing for sure.
    Also, will it be the government who decides whether deferred entry students pay higher fees or will individual universities be able to decide?
    As someone who applied and received offers on deferred entry before this announcement was made, it doesn't seem fair that I applied thinking I'd be paying one amount, only to find out afterwards (when it is too later) that I will be paying much higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ld27)
    Will the higher fees apply to those who are applying this year but who will not start their degree until 2012? I have heard that they probably will, but nothing for sure.
    Also, will it be the government who decides whether deferred entry students pay higher fees or will individual universities be able to decide?
    As someone who applied and received offers on deferred entry before this announcement was made, it doesn't seem fair that I applied thinking I'd be paying one amount, only to find out afterwards (when it is too later) that I will be paying much higher.
    You can ring up the uni and ask to change to 2011 entry if you no longer want to have a gap year. Also it's been in the news for months that fees are likely to go up/contributions increase so it's not really a huge surprise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    You can ring up the uni and ask to change to 2011 entry if you no longer want to have a gap year. Also it's been in the news for months that fees are likely to go up/contributions increase so it's not really a huge surprise!
    I was aware they may increase; I followed the issue closely, but I certainly didn't anticipate quite such a large increase. I don't know anyone, even my teachers, who wasn't surprised that they could rise to potentially £9000. I was also (wrongly, obviously) under the assumption that it would be done on the basis of year of application, not entry.
    My problem was that I already applied for, was accepted, and paid the non-refundable deposit on my gap year before I heard anything about the Browne report at all. I then wrote about my gap year in my personal statement, which I sent off in early September, before any of the details of the report were really beginning to come through. I could contact my individual universities, but my personal statement would no longer be correct, and would also sell me less well as a student as I had to cut some information to mention my gap year, so without the information on my gap year my personal statement would be very short.

Also, by this stage, many of the universities I applied to have given out lots of offers already. If I'd known that the fees would increase so substantially then I would have reconsidered before applying, to reconsider now would risk me losing existing offers which I may not get for 2011 entry. If that's the case I'd have to reapply next year anyway, and therefore pay higher fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ld27)
    I was aware they may increase; I followed the issue closely, but I certainly didn't anticipate quite such a large increase. I don't know anyone, even my teachers, who wasn't surprised that they could rise to potentially £9000. I was also (wrongly, obviously) under the assumption that it would be done on the basis of year of application, not entry.
    My problem was that I already applied for, was accepted, and paid the non-refundable deposit on my gap year before I heard anything about the Browne report at all. I then wrote about my gap year in my personal statement, which I sent off in early September, before any of the details of the report were really beginning to come through. I could contact my individual universities, but my personal statement would no longer be correct, and would also sell me less well as a student as I had to cut some information to mention my gap year, so without the information on my gap year my personal statement would be very short.

Also, by this stage, many of the universities I applied to have given out lots of offers already. If I'd known that the fees would increase so substantially then I would have reconsidered before applying, to reconsider now would risk me losing existing offers which I may not get for 2011 entry. If that's the case I'd have to reapply next year anyway, and therefore pay higher fees.
    Not all universities will be charging £9k, but I get your point. You're unlikely to be repaying the full amount but I appreciate your annoyance!

I don't think you'd be selling yourself short because you have 3500 characters of a PS instead of 4000 if you take out your gap year section, or anything. However the non-refundable deposit is obviously an issue - though if it's less than the difference in fees cancelling wouldn't necessarily be bad.

To be honest, if you want a gap year, go for it. Your uni is unlikely to be charging £9000 (I don't know where you've applied but there are 150 to choose from so as a % it's unlikely!) The repayment schedule will be better, so whilst you will have more to repay, if you're near the middle of graduate earners you won't repay it all, so you won't be ridiculously worse off.

Also, hopefully you'll earn more than £27000 extra over your lifetime with your degree, so it'd be worth going anyway.

EDIT - I should also add that if you don't earn an extra £27000 over your lifetime you won't have to pay off the full debt anyway, so it's a win-win situation really.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.