Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would happen if you were allergic to milk... Watch

...or lactose intolerant and you drank alot of milk?

ReputationRep:
    I get really bad eczema if I drink loads of milk. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the nature of the "allergy". For lactose intolerant people then they'd get the ****s and feel a bit bad, it's not a true allergy though. For people actually allergic to it then, as above, it can manifest as skin conditions, mucus production, malaise, even homosexuality.

ReputationRep:
    You'll feel nauseous, abdominal pain and possibly diarrhoea - so don't drink it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cttp_ngaf)
    It depends on the nature of the "allergy". For lactose intolerant people then they'd get the ****s and feel a bit bad, it's not a true allergy though. For people actually allergic to it then, as above, it can manifest as skin conditions, mucus production, malaise, even homosexuality.
    Excuse me? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine on a camping trip who was lactose intolerant had some cows milk and was sick, felt ill for a while, but was then fine.

ReputationRep:
    you would die as you suckled from your girlfriend's nourishment providers.

Would you feel 'itchy' on the inside?
    Like usually when I have allergy flare-ups, my chin on the insiide gets really itchy.

ReputationRep:
    Drink water with white food colouring in it.
    duh

ReputationRep:
    Throw myself of a bridge :p: Milks my favourite drink...

ReputationRep:
    People who are lactose-intolerant generally feel bloated and get diarrhoea, because instead of the enzyme lactase breaking down the milk (which lactose-intolerant people don't create or create enough of) bacteria in the large intestine do it instead, producing gas and having other unpleasant side-effects.

I don't think I'd even notice if I was allergic to milk - just looking at the stuff makes me feel sick. I'm picky about what I eat/drink and have weird aversions like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Accalia)
    People who are lactose-intolerant generally feel bloated and get diarrhoea, because instead of the enzyme lactase breaking down the milk (which lactose-intolerant people don't create or create enough of) bacteria in the large intestine do it instead, producing gas and having other unpleasant side-effects..
    Yep, pretty much this. If i have a large amount I get incredibly bloated/gassy, and will have diarrhoea. It's not a true allergy as its not the body which is causing the reaction, rather the bacteria that are eating the lactose and giving off hydrogen.

(Original post by cttp_ngaf)
    Ahem, source for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fubaring)
    Ahem, source for that?
    omfg EVER HEARD OF GOOGLES?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    i hate how people associate intolerances with allergies. yeah, intolerances are bad and you feel sick and everything, i'm not arguing with the facts.

but allergies can be so much worse. my brother has a severe anaphylactic reaction to nuts, peanuts, lentils, chickpeas, sesame seeds, soya and some other legumes. if he even comes into contact with the oils of those foods his throat closes and his tongue swells up, and he dies.

how can anyone put that on the same level as diarrheoa????

OP if you really have an allergy to milk then when you drink it or milk products, your tongue and lips may start to itch or feel 'fizzy', or you may come up in red welts on your body, or you may even start vomiting. but if you really are that concerned go and see your GP instead of taking advice from this forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurie:))
    i hate how people associate intolerances with allergies. yeah, intolerances are bad and you feel sick and everything, i'm not arguing with the facts.

but allergies can be so much worse. my brother has a severe anaphylactic reaction to nuts, peanuts, lentils, chickpeas, sesame seeds, soya and some other legumes. if he even comes into contact with the oils of those foods his throat closes and his tongue swells up, and he dies.

how can anyone put that on the same level as diarrheoa????

OP if you really have an allergy to milk then when you drink it or milk products, your tongue and lips may start to itch or feel 'fizzy', or you may come up in red welts on your body, or you may even start vomiting. but if you really are that concerned go and see your GP instead of taking advice from this forum.
    Sorry, but I disagree with you here. I feel really sorry for your brother for what he has but you cannot belittle intolerances. I have coeliac disease which means I cannot eat any foods containing gluten. This may seem like nothing to you, but this is a long term disease which can lead to many other health problems, and even a small amount of gluten will damage my small intestine.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbm)
    Sorry, but I disagree with you here. I feel really sorry for your brother for what he has but you cannot belittle intolerances. I have coeliac disease which means I cannot eat any foods containing gluten. This may seem like nothing to you, but this is a long term disease which can lead to many other health problems, and even a small amount of gluten will damage my small intestine.
    The only problem there is that coeliac disease isn't an allergy or intolerance. It's actually an autoimmune disease.

ReputationRep:
    If you even look at a cow, you die.

ReputationRep:
    You would chunder EVERYWAH!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    The only problem there is that coeliac disease isn't an allergy or intolerance. It's actually an autoimmune disease.
    I am aware of that, thanks. It is an autoimmune disease, which makes a person intolerant to gluten, because it makes them ill. That's why I worded my original post the way I did.

ReputationRep:
    I'm lactose intolerant. If I drank milk (or more likely got really stoned and ate a **** load of Minstrels), I'd get stomach cramps and fart nastier smells than you could possibly imagine. It's quite disgusting so I try avoid it, though like every other human, I'm not infallible.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.