Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Corsa problems - HELP! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Own a corsa 1.4 LS, P reg.

Driving today on the bypass, came up to 70, switched to left hand lane, and as I did this, 2 warning lights came on - the one with the battery symbol and the standard red (!) light (one that comes on when handbrake is engaged/other warnings.) It's staying permanently on.

Came out of work, and the car started fine. engine doesnt sound particularly rough, nothing out of the ordinary. Had the alternator belt changed last year as in winter it was doing the awful screeeeeeeam for a few mins every time you started the car.

Any help/advice? REALLY don't want to have to spend on car repairs, + surely if it was that major, the car would have exploded there and then/something similar

ReputationRep:
    Top up the brake fluid, that's one reason why it's on or it could be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    Top up the brake fluid, that's one reason why it's on or it could be.
    for the battery light to be on? Not suggested on any other threads on other forums describing the same problem . Every other forum talks of alternator gone/corroded broken wiring...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applemilk1992)
    for the battery light to be on? Not suggested on any other threads on other forums describing the same problem . Every other forum talks of alternator gone/corroded broken wiring...
    I dunno about that light...but for the handbrake light it's pretty much the main reason why it comes on when you're driving...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    I dunno about that light...but for the handbrake light it's pretty much the main reason why it comes on when you're driving...
    well its not the handbrake light specifically for handbrake problems, its that general (!) light that comes on for example when the handbrake is on or when petrol has pretty much run out

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's the same light for petrol and for handbrake. The ! light in my Corsa certainly only comes on with the handbrake (in which case bigmo7 is right about the brake fluid). The petrol light is separate.

ReputationRep:
    Can you take a picture of the lights? Are they still on? On PSA cars there's often a big red STOP light that comes on in conjunction with other lights but I don't know if that's the case for Vauxhalls. Sounds like you've got a charging fault - could be wiring or the alternator itself. Are you any good with a multimeter? Is there another light which comes on for the brakes as well as the one you've said is lit?

ReputationRep:
    The (!) light is for the clutch and brake hydraulic fluid.
    It needs topping up, but it probably means there is a leaky seal in the system which will need professional attention as soon as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knowledgenow)
    The (!) light is for the clutch and brake hydraulic fluid.
    It needs topping up, but it probably means there is a leaky seal in the system which will need professional attention as soon as.
    Clutch fluid (if you have a hydraulic clutch, which you won't necessarily) are independent. There's also other causes for the brake light to illuminate, though checking the fluid level is certainly a good idea if there's any possiblity that it's low.

ReputationRep:
    The red circle with the exclamation mark is a detectable fault anywhere in the braking system AFAIK, check the brake fluid, if it stays on it's probably safer to get someone who knows more about it to take a look.

ReputationRep:
    In all seriousness, I wouldn't drive the car with the brake system warning light on. There is a very real chance that it could fail at any time, leaving you significantly reduced braking ability.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have an L reg 1.4 LS..

I had the same problem with the hand brake light, used to come on when i was going round corners and stuff - that was the brake fluid...

Mine was a 93 - yours is a 96... I know mine didnt have a petrol light, but if yours has got one it'll be separate to your handbrake light anyway.. and either way your handbrake light shouldnt come on if you need petrol if i recall

As for battery light not so sure - my guess is could be alternator again to be honest mate, or maybe aux belt?

Hope that helps a bit

ReputationRep:
    Red battery light means the altenator isnt charging the battery. Eventually your "P&J" won't be starting.

Take it to someone who knows what they are looking at.

ReputationRep:
    If you have to top up the brake fluid, you should be trying to find the leak as well!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.