Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Virgin Active - Gyms and Protein Shakes. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, i just joined a new gym, Virgin Active, i'm going to be paying £40/M. I'm starting on the 3 of December, from the first glance it looked pretty good, the workout equipment was pretty new, (not as good as DW, but thats too far and i dont drive :/). But still the gym looks very decent. Was wondering whether any of you go to Virgin Gym's and how you are finding it?

Also I have never actually took protein shakes, i know their not bad for you, and are only meant to increase the muscle mass after a workout while your muscles are repairing. But i was wondering is the result much better when using protein shakes and do you gain the weight/muscle quicker? Because i put on half a stone within a month without using any. And looking into starting to use some? Also which is the best protein shake for weight/muscle gain?

Thanks

Andrey

ReputationRep:
    Stickys are your friend and check out www.muscleandstrength.com

ReputationRep:
    myprotien.com

And if your serious about training find a serious gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Witchita)
    myprotien.com

And if your serious about training find a serious gym.
    By a serious gym? what do you mean? Im already well built, but i just want to gain some more mass before uni. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onge)
    By a serious gym? what do you mean? Im already well built, but i just want to gain some more mass before uni. Thanks.
    Then go to a serious gym. Squat racks/power cages, solid barbell bench press stations, somewhere to deadlift. You'll also probably pay half what you are at the moment

ReputationRep:
    yeh i know what you mean, although its hard, because i dont drive, and am limited to what gym i can go. The only reason i go to virgin active is because its close to my work :/. But thanks for the info.

ReputationRep:
    Virgin Active is a rip off.

ReputationRep:
    Virgin active won't let me do box jumps for my own safety. *******s.

I hate commercial gyms, just because they want people to stay fat and stick them on cardio like all the other suckers I shouldn't be punished for being awesome and picking heavy stuff off the floor or jumping onto a box.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hantheman)
    Virgin active won't let me do box jumps for my own safety. *******s.

I hate commercial gyms, just because they want people to stay fat and stick them on cardio like all the other suckers I shouldn't be punished for being awesome and picking heavy stuff off the floor or jumping onto a box.
    Plus, they're so ****ing expensive, dayum.

Lucky I go to my school's gym where the teachers couldn't give a shet what exercises you do, LOL.

ReputationRep:
    lol, sounds like a lot of hate for virgin active. Well im going this friday for induction so ill let you guys know how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I go to David Lloyd, and I pay £42/month, which will be increasing to £44/m in January.

On a seperate note, I'm also interested whether protein shakes make that much of a different. Anyone else have any experience with them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNotSuperman)
    Lol I go to David Lloyd, and I pay £42/month, which will be increasing to £44/m in January.

On a seperate note, I'm also interested whether protein shakes make that much of a different. Anyone else have any experience with them?
    they are no different to food, if your obtaining your required protein intake via normal foods there is no reason for you to use shakes. however its quite an easy way to increase ur protein intake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miguel_cotto)
    they are no different to food, if your obtaining your required protein intake via normal foods there is no reason for you to use shakes. however its quite an easy way to increase ur protein intake
    yeah but its ****ing hard to eat enough to reach 200 grams of protein a day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    lol i imagine so. Yeh im definitely ganna give it a try, just to see the comparison and the weight gain in a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onge)
    lol i imagine so. Yeh im definitely ganna give it a try, just to see the comparison and the weight gain in a month.
    k well eat a minimum of one gram of protein per pound of body weight, so if you weigh 11 stone eat 154 grams of protein

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    k well eat a minimum of one gram of protein per pound of body weight, so if you weigh 11 stone eat 154 grams of protein
    wow you nearly guessed my weight. 11.5st. And thanks ill try hard to make it work, will keep this thread updated.

ReputationRep:
    Ya know, muscles take in more than just protein...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    you aim for 200g of protein a day? are you like 100lbs or something? i personally aim for 2g/lb whenever i can, im 225 so that about 450g. however i know on most days i wont reach that but i rarely go below 400g. i try to get it half from shakes half from food.
    try to aim for 300g of protein a day with as much of it as possible from food, whatever you cant get from food just make it up using a protein shake. beware of your farts tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    1g/lb is ridiculous. ATLEAST 1.5g/lb upto 2g/lb. most of the time someone cant put on mass its because of their diet, mainly lack of protein.

ReputationRep:
    There's a gym in Birmingham city centre which charges £16 a month, no contract and it's open 24hours.

Lucky me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.