Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear Mr Willetts,

I am looking to return to university to study medicine in 2012. Will I be eligible to receive a tuition fee loan as well as a maintenance loan? This could really make the difference to me following my dream to be a doctor. Lord Browne did of course state that no student should have to pay up front for the cost of university.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silvio_scfc)
    Dear Mr Willetts,

I am looking to return to university to study medicine in 2012. Will I be eligible to receive a tuition fee loan as well as a maintenance loan? This could really make the difference to me following my dream to be a doctor. Lord Browne did of course state that no student should have to pay up front for the cost of university.

Thanks
    Equivalent or lower qualifications aren't covered by these regulations, Labour introduced a rule which said that students studying for ELQs don't get fee loans or government funding in the form of teaching grants anymore.

However, the NHS pays your fees for years 2, 3 and 4 if you're doing the graduate entry to medicine

Lord Browne only said that for first undergraduate degrees - ie not 2nd/3rd/4th degrees, not postgrad degrees, not law conversions ,etc...

ReputationRep:
    I'm well aware of the current regulations. However, given that fees are likely to rise to £6,000+, a maintenance loan alone will barely cover half of the fees. As interest above inflation will be applied to loans, it seems perfectly reasonable that access should be given to a tuition fee loan as well. As a qualified doctor, I will certainly be able to pay back these loans in full. This is not the case in my current capacity as a healthcare assistant.

ReputationRep:
    All I want is access to the loans, not any grants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    Equivalent or lower qualifications aren't covered by these regulations, Labour introduced a rule which said that students studying for ELQs don't get fee loans or government funding in the form of teaching grants anymore.

However, the NHS pays your fees for years 2, 3 and 4 if you're doing the graduate entry to medicine

Lord Browne only said that for first undergraduate degrees - ie not 2nd/3rd/4th degrees, not postgrad degrees, not law conversions ,etc...
    1. It's not an ELQ. Despite this there is still little funding support.

2. It's currently unknown whether or not the NHS will meet the £6k difference when the tuition fees are increased. In addition, those on 5 year courses are expected to pay four years of the fees up-front anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Just like Lord Browne, Mr Willetts has failed to clear up the issues surrounding funding for graduate medicine applicants. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silvio_scfc)
    Just like Lord Browne, Mr Willetts has failed to clear up the issues surrounding funding for graduate medicine applicants. :mad:
    There's nothing really to clear up as nothing has really been decided yet.

It's nice to know that he is aware of the situation though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.