The Student Room Group

MBA graduate without first degree and been told to pay £10000 ayear for MPharm

Hi All

I am having a dilemma here. I came to UK in 2006 as an overseas student to complete MBA from Liverpool John Moores. I paid £9000 being an overseas student and passed my post graduate degree in 2007.

Before MBA, I completed B.com(Bachelor in Commerce) a two year degree from India.
Since passing my MBA I have been employed full time and have been naturlised as a British citizen. I started an access course(Pharmacy, medicine and dentistry) in September 2010. Last week I sent an email to all the universities including Liverpool John Moores to askif they accept the access course and will they require me to pass GCSE to obtain grade B in english and Maths.

They all have replied to me stating being an MBA graduate I will be classed as ELQ student and will have to pay between £9000-£10000 a year for MPharm if my application is successfull. I will not qualify for any grants.

I am stuck now as there is no way I can afford to pay £10k a year and I am already half way through my access course where I have been doing very well.

I have never applied for any university grants/loans or support from UK government. I funded my mba from personal finances.

Is there anyway I can avoid being classed as ELQ student. Can I question the criteria as although I have a post graduate degree but I do not have an honours degree. I have checked on NARIC and my first degree is equivalent of A levels/Scottish Diploma.

Can I skip my MBA degree from my UCAS form and what will be the consequences if I do. I will appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Regards

Rohail
Reply 1
Short answer: No.

Long answer: No chance.
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply. Do you know what alternatives are there apart from paying £10k a year? Are there any universities which don't charge extra fee from ELQ students e.g. Welsh/scottish & Irish. I have googled ELq and found out its upto the universities whether they want to charge extra fee from ELQ students or not.
You will not get round the ELQ regulations.
End of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending