The Student Room Group

2 Rejections Already

I have just been rejected by Bristol and Cambridge for Mechanical Engineering, and I am feeling a little depressed.

Anyone have any ideas why I might have been rejected?

My grades were:

AAAA Maths/Chem/Bio/Phy
Reply 1
Maybe your statement wasn't strong enough, a commone reason I have seen is people didn't show that they were interested in that course and really wanted to be on it.

Then again you are up against other people who will be doing work experience on a weekly basis.
Reply 2
I did have work experience...
Original post by Engineer31
I have just been rejected by Bristol and Cambridge for Mechanical Engineering, and I am feeling a little depressed.

Anyone have any ideas why I might have been rejected?

My grades were:

AAAA Maths/Chem/Bio/Phy

I got rejected from Bristol with AAAA for mechanical engineering.
Cambridge want an A* so it's understandable you've been rejected.
they're both very competitive courses so it's probably just there were better candidates.
Reply 4
did you apply to more than two unis? one will have to let you in with grades like that :biggrin:
Reply 5
Bristol is ridiculously competitive in all subjects and for cambridge you needed that A*
both are very competitive, cambridge is just cambridge (no-one is guaranteed anything for them, AAAA is what they expect as a minimum, but you need more than just that), and perhaps if you are a strong candidate bristol rejected you because they thought you'd go to oxbridge instead? but with good grades, i'm sure you'll be more successful with your other 3 choices :smile:
Reply 7
Forgot to say, my grades were at AS, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten the A* ... But I know cambridge is competitive, but Bristol?

Thanks for the replies, feeling slight less crap.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Did you choose 3 more? What are they?
Reply 9
Imperial
UCL
and Southampton (although not too keen on this one)
Reply 10
Forgot to say, my grades were at AS, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten the A* ... But I know cambridge is competitive, but Bristol?

Thanks for the replies, feeling slight less crap.

What were your predictions mate?
Reply 11
A*AAA with the A* in Phys (Tried to get one in maths, but failed, stupid teacher).
Reply 12
Oh god, competition for Mechanical Engineering has indeed gotten harder this year. I got offer from Bristol last year for Mech. Eng. with aaab at AS and predicted AAAB (I think). But their offers ranged from AAA to AAB so yeah. Now, I heard they ask for A*AA?

I feel sorry for you OP. But I'm sure with such amazing grades and predictions, your other choices will accept you. :smile:
Reply 13
Just got an Offer from UCL, things are looking up!
Reply 14
Just got an Offer from UCL, things are looking up!

Congrats!! I also just an got offer from Bath.
Reply 15
Reasons could be very simple.

Biology isn't really a Mech Eng subject and they'd probably of expected you to have further maths. So many people got AAA or better for AS this year and the unis would probably choose someone with further maths over you.

You may have applied to an over competitive college for engineering at Cambridge?

What were your GCSE results like?

Did you read your personal statement and teacher/school reference? It could be errors in that or a bad report.
Reply 16
Original post by Dhanoo
Congrats!! I also just an got offer from Bath.

Congrats :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest