The Student Room Group

A-level options help!

Ok, i need help with my options. I'm good in my core subjects with A*-B grades in maths,chemisrty, physics and chemisrty. I want to be a games programmer/developer, animator or engineer(probably electrical or computer).
So I was thinking to take:
Maths
Physics

However I don't know whcih to take from computing and applied ict.
And should I take another science( to keep my options open) or a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production (Games development)?

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
If you decide to take a-levels, i would recommend computing. But by the sounds of it, the diploma sounds good to me
Reply 2
Do computing over IT.

Further Maths I doubt would do you any harm (if you like maths/can stand that much!). Chemistry isn't bad, another science. If you decide to go down other engineering routes (Chemical engineering would require Chemistry but otherwise all areas of engineering would look favourably upon further maths)

If you are any good with languages I expect that would look favourable as your AS or so.

If none of the above, it doesn't matter too much if it's the one you drop at AS, just make sure you do well in Maths, Physics and Computing!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
ok thanks for your help nymthae and eloades.
I think i'll take:
Maths
Physics
Computing
Game development diploma/further maths

Don't know whether i want to take chemisrty, as there is a lot of praticals and I find them quite boring, might do physcology instead as i'v heard it's easy and employers are impressed with it!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Yeah, in the same boat, I want to do computer science at uni and taking

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Computing.

I'm guessing you want to do computer science if you want to be a games programmer.
Uni's definitely want maths and physics, and further maths is strongly recommended as it is what you'll need to understand lectures.
Although they only see some computing courses (AQA) as useful when starting, it isn't that necessary as you will learn all the stuff you would during a-evels during the first couple terms.

Maybe take chemistry as a fifth but I exchanged e-mails with the subject head at the college of the uni I want to go to and he said it's better just to focus on 3-4 subjects. Preferably top marks in 3. (Maths, Further Maths and Physics)
Reply 5
Well there are two people wanting to be animators at my school and they've both taken art, i.t/computing and maths?
Reply 6
Original post by emma363
Well there are two people wanting to be animators at my school and they've both taken art, i.t/computing and maths?

I think art is ideal for animating but I did'nt study it at gcse, I did animation instead.

Quick Reply

Latest