Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I'm applying independently to uni this year, and I've just realised I don't think I actually have a reference. /:

    I had to leave school midway through my last year of sixth form because my grandmother became ill and needed a home carer. There really wasn't any other option at the time, except for one of my parents quitting their job, and I've been doing my A levels independently at home since leaving school. I've been working as a carer for a year or so now but, to my knowledge, I can't use my grandmother as a work reference on my uni application because we're related.

    I don't actually live in the area where I went to school any more, so I can't just walk in and ask for contact details for a reference, and their website is horribly vague - the only contact number I can find is for "office inquiries". I haven't been able to work because of the full-time carer thing.

    Should I just start emailing my old school's office? Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I feel kinda stuck about what I'm supposed to do now, despite having enough points for the courses I want to take. s:

    hi. i have the same prob. i left sch too and now UCAS comes up with this new ruling. i contacted the people from my previous sch. hopefully they'll help me.

    do u have any idea if the referee is able to view my the rest of my application????
    or will he be only able to see the reference portion?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

    All the essentials

    The adventure begins mug

    Student life: what to expect

    What it's really like going to uni

    Graduates celebrate

    How to write a good personal statement

    Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

    Uni match

    Uni match

    Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

    Two students working together

    A-Z of universities

    Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

    A student working on a computer

    Personal statement help

    Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

    Hands typing

    Degrees without fees

    Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

    A student looking down a microscope

    Planning open days

    Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

    Help out other students

    These questions still need an answer

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.