Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i am currently choosing my options for 6th form, and i was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice about what a-levels would be suitable for studying law at university. I was thinking of doing: History,Law,Sociology and Art. And i think i would drop art (so only do an AS) would these be good choices or would i be better taking other subjects?
    Thankyou x

ReputationRep:
    Avoid art at all costs. Law and Sociology aren't great choices either. Try Politics, English Lit, Economics, a language, Maths as a replacement for those two .
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Don't take art. It's not an academic subject and may not even be counted to do law. Sociology is also not great, but if you did it with some good subjects it would be fine. History and Law are both good. Keep them. English is good, and so is maths. Government and Politics can also be a good one, and languages are also good for law. So, I suggest getting rid of art and sociology and replacing them with 2 others.

ReputationRep:
    As a general rule DO NOT take anything that involves performing unless you are wishing to do it as a course involving performing at university. Also avoid anything with studies on the end if your are serious about going to university.

Do you not take 5 options at your college?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice, and to answer someone's question, no, you only take 4 subjects at my college and then usually drop one of them for the second year, so you end up with 1 AS and 3 A-levels
    x

ReputationRep:
    You could do with picking 4 choices that you could keep on the full A level most people have 4 and while I'm not saying you'd be disadvantaged by only having three... [insert own conclusion]

History is good, philosophy is a strong choice if you fancy it, politics, Religious studies, English Lit, and then a science or maths (psychology is acceptable as far as I'm concerned)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julietx)
    Hello, i am currently choosing my options for 6th form, and i was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice about what a-levels would be suitable for studying law at university. I was thinking of doing: History,Law,Sociology and Art. And i think i would drop art (so only do an AS) would these be good choices or would i be better taking other subjects?
    Thankyou x
    Most of your options sound ok. Im nt sure about law though. Quite a few unis accept it but most unis arent that keen on it. Id maybe take something like economics or a language instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollie51)
    As a general rule DO NOT take anything that involves performing unless you are wishing to do it as a course involving performing at university. Also avoid anything with studies on the end if your are serious about going to university.
    Do you not take 5 options at your college?
    Is Religious Studies a solid, respected subject for law though? Or does it fall under the "studies" rule?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HowToSaveALife)
    Is Religious Studies a solid, respected subject for law though? Or does it fall under the "studies" rule?
    I'd avoid it.

ReputationRep:
    Now I think that is the one exception although it is in the middle if you like, I'd certainly recommend Economics or something similar.

And i'm pretty sure Sociology would be better replaced by Philosophy.

So ideally you would take:

Law, History, Economics and Philosophy.

That's 3 strong options and one middling in Oxbridge's view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollie51)
    Now I think that is the one exception although it is in the middle if you like, I'd certainly recommend Economics or something similar.

And i'm pretty sure Sociology would be better replaced by Philosophy.

So ideally you would take:

Law, History, Economics and Philosophy.

That's 3 strong options and one middling in Oxbridge's view.
    I doubt they'd be too hot on Law and Philosophy, if she replaced one of those with English Lit then I'd say fair game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellrosk)
    I doubt they'd be too hot on Law and Philosophy, if she replaced one of those with English Lit then I'd say fair game.

Only two Universities have said that they viewed Law as a 'less favourable' A level when preparing to study law. Neither of those universities were Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    Only two Universities have said that they viewed Law as a 'less favourable' A level when preparing to study law. Neither of those universities were Oxbridge.
    Yeah but for such an oversubscribed and popular course surely you'd want to place yourself in good steed? Taking a subject that has been seen to be a soft option (as compared to Lit which is definitely not) may work against you. With Law you don't want anything to work against you!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but for such an oversubscribed and popular course surely you'd want to place yourself in good steed? Taking a subject that has been seen to be a soft option (as compared to Lit which is definitely not) may work against you. With Law you don't want anything to work against you!

That's my point. Only 2 universities (LSE and UCL I think, not entirely sure) have said they consider (in not so many words) Law to be a 'soft' option. So it will not 'work against you'. Besides, even if it were to work against you, so long as you back up the Law A level with something like English Lit and History would still stand you in good stead.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is a favorable subject, Law is dependent on which uni, so as a general rule it's classed as a neither favorable nor soft.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn matter what A levles you do, you cna get into Law on any levels providing they are fairly academic. A fairly good set of choices i would say are: Further maths or maths, English Lit, History, and a language German or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    That's my point. Only 2 universities (LSE and UCL I think, not entirely sure) have said they consider (in not so many words) Law to be a 'soft' option. So it will not 'work against you'. Besides, even if it were to work against you, so long as you back up the Law A level with something like English Lit and History would still stand you in good stead.
    Yeah but the fact that two reputable and competitive institutes have said this indicates that they're not as highly thought of as say History, Eng Lit etc (which no university has never declared to be a soft option). Even though other universities haven't publically advised against it, doesn't mean they don't think it and I'm sure sentiments don't vary a great deal between universities.

I guess it comes down to the University the OP wishes to attend, for Oxbridge, LSE, UCL Durham etc, I'd advise against both Law and Philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julietx)
    Thankyou x
    hey i'd say they are good choices as long as you will enjoy them! I did Law at A Level and loved it so I wanted to take it further at degree level! Bare in mind the only two universities that don't like you to take law are LSE and Manchester.

good luck with what you choose

ReputationRep:
    thank you for all the feedback, it has really helped! x

ReputationRep:
    Don't take Law. Exeter for one don't like it (the admissions tutor went so far as to say they wouldn't accept it when she did a talk at our school... though this was a few years ago granted).

Art, though it's one of the most work-heavy subjects, would be best as a 4th option.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.