Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment, when I came to uni i said to myself that I'd be socailble and self confidant and would show the new leaf that I've recently turned.

In my course I have made a couple of mates which I'm happy about
    But in Halls..I dont know it just seems like I missed the boat and everyone now has a group and all that , it probably didnt help where i went home for most of freshers which was a big mistake and i dont want to go to the uni bar cause I dont want to be a laz

I would say I'm a friendly and socaible girl once u get to know me, also that I guess i'm rarther alternative and diffrent in my music, fashion taste etc compared to the majority of people in my halls that I have seen so far - obviously i am open to making mates with people that are a bit diffrent to me but also obviously people have to have some things in common if they are to be friends.

Was wondering if anyone else has been through simaliar stuff or has any advice/thoughts on this

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ahh don't worry too much, it's still early days! You will have plenty of opportunities to make friends. I know people who haven't made friends until the second term! It will be fine, there are thousands of people who feel exactly like you right now. Just look at the number of 'lonely at uni' threads on this forum.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there. I'm feeling the same at the moment. Noticing everyone sort of grouping up without me. All i can really say, is that do make an effort- make some cakes and text people in your hall to come and share? Or just spend more time in the communcal kitchens, it's easy to bump into people if your working in your kitchen rather than your room.

Outside of the halls... try organising a few people from your course to go out for a drink/coffee/club.

The friends you've made- try and meet there friends as well.

Join new societies- there great to meet new people.

All those people you bumped into at the begining, everyone you've had a few words with. Now's the time to meet up. Text them/facebook/bump into them and say shall we meet for a coffee?

I know how your feeling, i've been feeling so low and lonely the last week or 2. But i've tried a few of the suggestions above, and i've definately met 4 or 5 new friends. I hope they help you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missy Sara)
    Hey there. I'm feeling the same at the moment. Noticing everyone sort of grouping up without me. All i can really say, is that do make an effort- make some cakes and text people in your hall to come and share? Or just spend more time in the communcal kitchens, it's easy to bump into people if your working in your kitchen rather than your room.

Outside of the halls... try organising a few people from your course to go out for a drink/coffee/club.

The friends you've made- try and meet there friends as well.

Join new societies- there great to meet new people.

All those people you bumped into at the begining, everyone you've had a few words with. Now's the time to meet up. Text them/facebook/bump into them and say shall we meet for a coffee?

I know how your feeling, i've been feeling so low and lonely the last week or 2. But i've tried a few of the suggestions above, and i've definately met 4 or 5 new friends. I hope they help you x
    Thanks for u replies guys, thanks for all the suggestions - I'm really good with people once the ice has been brokern and i get to know people like me and will accept me for who i am i'm the most confidant bubbly girl but its just starting to get to know people and making the first move that i have trouble with

Like i said i have made a couple of mates in my course - one of them lives in halls and has said that i can come over any time and that if she and her flatmates or whoever go out she'll let me know so thats good - hopefully will make mates through her - also my other mate hopefully we should be going out in the future once this busy period of work is done with

I'm a very over sensative person and can often turn a small situation into a massive one and get paranoid bout people not likeing me which is an attitude i'm trying to change cause its no good for me

I know i will make friends as long as i'm myself and take opputunities given

ReputationRep:
    Keep making an effort, get yourself out there, even if its rough at first. Most people are accepting if you follow the norms of the group. Not many people like people who prefer to stay in at home rather than hit the town on a snowy wednesday night :P. Kidding.

ReputationRep:
    don't worrying so much about conforming. so what if you didn't make 5000 superficial "friends"?
    you're the "most confidant bubbly girl" then surely there is no reason to be so paralysed about the situation.
    you'll find some mates if you're nice (you don't even have to be nice really, you'll find likeminded people either way)
    relax

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mänwe)
    don't worrying so much about conforming. so what if you didn't make 5000 superficial "friends"?
    you're the "most confidant bubbly girl" then surely there is no reason to be so paralysed about the situation.
    you'll find some mates if you're nice (you don't even have to be nice really, you'll find likeminded people either way)
    relax
    thanks for your reply, i agree with you
    as i might have said i have a mate off my course who lives in halls and i went out with her and her flat mates last night and had a good time so i think if i stick with her and just be myself to people then i;ll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maddy Hurrell)
    Basically I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment, when I came to uni i said to myself that I'd be socailble and self confidant and would show the new leaf that I've recently turned.

But in Halls..I dont know it just seems like I missed the boat and everyone now has a group and all that , it probably didnt help where i went home for most of freshers which was a big mistake and i dont want to go to the uni bar cause I dont want to be a laz

I would say I'm a friendly and socaible girl once u get to know me, also that I guess i'm rarther alternative and diffrent in my music, fashion taste etc compared to the majority of people in my halls that I have seen so far - obviously i am open to making mates with people that are a bit diffrent to me but also obviously people have to have some things in common if they are to be friends.

Was wondering if anyone else has been through simaliar stuff or has any advice/thoughts on this

thanks
    FUUU if I went to the same uni i'd be your friend.

ReputationRep:

thanks
    I'm in the exact same boat as u! I've made a couple of mates on my course...and a couple on a sport, that live a bit far away frm me and strangely I get along pretty well wid their friends too!

But in dorms its been a bit awkward...I dont really connect wid anyone except for this one guy but he's in a diff group. Being an international student doesnt help either. My flatmates have been odd as well...as in there is one who is always in his room, kinda cold to everyone altho I do get along well wid him when I see him. One who talks a lot with everyone, says hi to me all the time but doesnt talk much else. Then there is 2 of them that only talk to me when they're drunk and 2 others that are friendly but will rarely call me if they're goin anywhere.

I'm a bit shy as well but great once ppl get to kno me...and I have made an effort to get to know ppl...made the first move abt 60 % of the time but that number shud def be higher considering I missed 2 weeks of freshers.

And yeah I find myself being a bit different as well to ppl in my dorm (mainly cuz i'm an international) but I dunno...I just prefer open minded ppl who stick up for stuff they like and can talk wid anyone. A lot of the people here just stick to ppl frm the same country as them...while the Brits are polite and not restrictive of anyone, they seem to make no effort to involve me, the convos are often abt random brit stuff.

ReputationRep:

thanks
    Best way to make mates at uni?? get pissed, be rowdy and have a laugh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.