Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tired of being so altruistic compared to my ignorant friends Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm generally considered to be an extremely altruistic person, and am constantly 'doing my bit' for causes that really matter to humanity. I seem to be the only one out my friends however who gives a toss about anything. None of them seem to bat an eyelid when I try to raise awareness of various causes and do my bit for charity. For example, last night I put on my Facebook status, 'North Korea please stop being so provocative, you're really not helping anyone'.

Only 2 people liked it however.

You'd have thought that loads of people would have been clamouring to like it and show the despotic regime what they thought of it. It was the same when I put on a status about ending people trafficking, and someone just wrote underneath 'aww babe you'm so caring ay ya, you coming out tonight anyway?' I just feel that I'm so at a loss to do anything because the people by whom I'm surrounded are uneducated, ignorant morons, and it's so disheartening.

How can I stop them being so selfish?

ReputationRep:
    Traffic their family members, give them terminal illnesses, eat their pets while wearing a N. Korean flag etc.

People only care about stuff that affects them.

ReputationRep:
    Trite alert

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: I'm sure your FB status changed Kim Jong Il's mind.

ReputationRep:
    How many "help find Madeline pages" have you "liked"?

ReputationRep:
    you are whining about only 2 people liking your status.....right. well thats pretty gay.

On the other hand, well done for doing your bit, but remember the change in people only comes from inside them. Attempt to reform them off your own back and you are wasting precious time and energy.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I don't think creating FB statuses instantly make you altruistic... go volunteer at a charity shop or do a fundraiser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jahokagu)
    For example, last night I put on my Facebook status, 'North Korea please stop being so provocative, you're really not helping anyone'.

You'd have thought that loads of people would have been clamouring to like it and show the despotic regime what they thought of it.
    Oh give me a break...:rolleyes:

I'm fairly altruistic, but I don't particularly care about this. You've got to face the reality that about 90% of the world don't give a crap about things they can't relate to.

And also, writing a facebook status /= altruism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jahokagu)
    I'm generally considered to be an extremely altruistic person, and am constantly 'doing my bit' for causes that really matter to humanity. I seem to be the only one out my friends however who gives a toss about anything. None of them seem to bat an eyelid when I try to raise awareness of various causes and do my bit for charity. For example, last night I put on my Facebook status, 'North Korea please stop being so provocative, you're really not helping anyone'.

You'd have thought that loads of people would have been clamouring to like it and show the despotic regime what they thought of it. It was the same when I put on a status about ending people trafficking, and someone just wrote underneath 'aww babe you'm so caring ay ya, you coming out tonight anyway?' I just feel that I'm so at a loss to do anything because the people by whom I'm surrounded are uneducated, ignorant morons, and it's so disheartening.

How can I stop them being so selfish?
    It's a status not a diary. not everyone lives through facebook. facebook is for fun and keeping in touch with friends, not telling everyone how moral and caring you are.

ReputationRep:
    Surely the truly altruistic expect no recognition in return?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.