Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

FIFA's Dirty Secrets: Panorama Special Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anybody watching this tonight or just going to iPlayer it after the El Classico?

What are peoples opinions on the timing? Will it actually be shocking and influence FIFA or is it basically saying something that everyone already knows and the same thiings will continue to happen regardless?

And so on...

ReputationRep:
    I assume the BBC makes a bundle of cash from the World Cup coverage so I'd imagine it's in their best interests not to show it? Unless their employees want it in Qatar or USA so they get a free holiday :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    I assume the BBC makes a bundle of cash from the World Cup coverage so I'd imagine it's in their best interests not to show it? Unless their employees want it in Qatar or USA so they get a free holiday :mmm:
    That is exactly what confused me. The BBC could make a fortune if the competition was in England, as well as saving loads as they wouldn't have to pay for everyone to go to some far off land.

ReputationRep:
    iPlayer job.

----

There's too much crap surrounding the England bid for us to win the vote now imo. First we had the Lord Triesmann comments, then the Times investigation, the arguments with the Russians, Panorama etc.

Add to that the fact that the voting procedure has become even more political now that FIFA is doing the vote for 2022 at the same time, and the chances of England winning are even more remote.

I hope I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    It is ridiculous how biased FIFA are against England tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    That is exactly what confused me. The BBC could make a fortune if the competition was in England, as well as saving loads as they wouldn't have to pay for everyone to go to some far off land.
    The BBC would find some other way of making it expensive. You can imagine them wanting to make their coverage of the English World Cup better than ITV's.

They were also recently criticized by their board for making low quality, trashy programmes and having no variety, so this Panorama is an easy way for them to begin to refute that and show they have some backbone.

ReputationRep:
    England or Russia joint favourites I would say for 2018.

Qatar favourites for 2022 with USA and Australia joint second.

I would be very pleased if England and Qatar win the vote.

ReputationRep:
    Surely Russia's relationship with racism should count against them more than a couple of silly media stories...

ReputationRep:
    I'll be watching this after the game

ReputationRep:
    FIFA don't mind a bit of racism as long as it isn't England doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't they have waited till next week. Its not really news tbh. We all know fifa is corrupted.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, it should have been next week.

ReputationRep:
    is it just me or is this documentary a bunch of failed vox-pops? I'm not convinced...

ReputationRep:
    I'd argue as some commentator has already done so (probably quoting someone off 5 live coverage tonight), that this programme's timing has been unpatriotic. Basically (even more) ****ed our chances of hosting the 2018 WC. But similarly FIFA needs cleaning up, has done for years, this corruption stuff isn't a shiny new subject for us to get our teeth into. The cleaning process would begin once Blatter and some of the other dodgy FIFA executives piss off. Where do these people come from, ffs?

Would be nice to have the WC in England in 2018 but it's just not happening. That Warner fella does come across as a despicable ****, just like Blatter tbh.

ReputationRep:
    It was disappointing for me as it was a rehash of the one done four years ago and general about FIFA's corruptness which everyone knows. There was nothing really relevant to show that bribes had taken place for this year's voting and was about bribes taken years ago. If England 2018 team think the individuals mentioned who will be voting are going to vote for England are badly mistaken IMO.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.