Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm currently on a gap year, and will be heading off to Uni September 2011. Learning Japanese has always been always one of those things I'd always wanted to do, but never got around it.

I'm dying to visit the country, but I think the experience would be even better if I was familiar with the language, so I reckon I'll save my dream trip for after Uni! Being on a gap year, I've decided that this is the perfect time to get a basic understanding of the language before I hopefully carry on my studies to a further level at Uni.

I'm currently considering going on an evening course at UIC London, as trying to self teach myself is something I don't think would work out. Has anyone taken up a course to learn the language? could you recommend me somewhere in London?

If not, I'd like to find out how you learned the language!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I primarily learned began to learn it through my Boyfriend, he's Japanese. Then I picked some more stuff up through watching dramas, a bit of anime and listening to some Jpop. Then I took an evening class at the university once a week. I've still got a long way to go, but it all starts with an interest, which it seems you've got. So I wish you luck.

ReputationRep:
    alljapaneseallthetime.com

It started off really inspirational and stuff but he's kind of turned into a self-righteous prick. But what he says does make sense! I suggest giving it a bit of a read.

ReputationRep:
    I started with the "Teachyourself" series on Japanese about 4-5 years ago. I wouldn't really reccommend it though lol. There are plenty of great places to learn Japanese in London. First off I know several people that study at SOAS http://www.soas.ac.uk/languagecentre...ages/japanese/ and have found it really useful also I'd personally reccommend http://itojapanese.com/ they are really friendly and helpful here mind you english isn't allowed in the lessons!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.