Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How good are they? I want a laptop that will last a few years so want a good one but is there much between them?

Or even Duo core 2 are they similar again?
    I dont even want to do that much on it just watch films uni stuff word etc internet browsing and think thats it.

I know I dont need an i3 for this but I m just like that and wanted to get the best I could.

ReputationRep:
    Won't matter which, an I3 should be fine. A nice amount of RAM (2GB+) is always recommended but other than that, to do basic things you don't need a super powerful CPU

ReputationRep:
    The Core 2 Duo's are an older architecture, but they are about as good as the i3's. The i5's are a step up again really.
    For most people, a C2D or i3 is more than enough.
    Only spend the extra money on an i5 / i7 if you are a gamer, or do CPU intensive tasks (video conversion / editing, multiple virtual machines, very high resolution image editing etc).

ReputationRep:
    Intel is going to announce new CPUs in January at CES so if you can hold out then I would

ReputationRep:
    I would have to agree with wizard710, Intel are releasing their awesome Sandy Bridge architecture next year. So if you can hold on for a little bit, do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Intel is going to announce new CPUs in January at CES so if you can hold out then I would
    I'd recommend the same but it'll take a while for OEMs to then actually start using them so it's not a case of waiting till CES

ReputationRep:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/27/i...uad-core-i7-2/

ReputationRep:
    Colour me wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Guys Im not a gamer reading the 1st few bits of that article, the processor is marketed at gamers? or the lsptop is because of the processor.

I cant even deciede what scren size to go for I will be in the same position this time next year no doubts.

ReputationRep:
    If all you are doing is basic tasks buy a cheap one, look after it and spend the money you save on something else.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.