Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    OABC is a triangular pyramid. The position vectors of A, B, C with respect to O are given by OA=3i, OB=4j, and OC=5k. The points M and N are the feet of the perpendiculars from O to AC and BC respectively (see diagram).

Find AC and hence verify that the vector OM is parallel to 5i + 3k.

- I have found AC to be -3i + 5k
    So I can show that (5i + 3k) and AC are perpendicular by using the dot product. I thought of using that and since both (5i + 3k) and OM are perpendicular to AC they must be parallel but I don't think this is sufficent as we are working in three dimesions and I'm not sure if I can state that OM is in the x-z plane :confused:

Vector questions like this are my weak point >.<

ReputationRep:
    Anybody?

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm I seem to be making some stupid arithmetic mistake I will post back when I can spot it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElMoro)
    OABC is a triangular pyramid. The position vectors of A, B, C with respect to O are given by OA=3i, OB=4j, and OC=5k. The points M and N are the feet of the perpendiculars from O to AC and BC respectively (see diagram).

Find AC and hence verify that the vector OM is parallel to 5i + 3k.

- I have found AC to be -3i + 5k
    So I can show that (5i + 3k) and AC are perpendicular by using the dot product. I thought of using that and since both (5i + 3k) and OM are perpendicular to AC they must be parallel but I don't think this is sufficent as we are working in three dimesions and I'm not sure if I can state that OM is in the x-z plane :confused:

Vector questions like this are my weak point >.<
    But you can state that OM in the x-z plane.
    OM is in the OAC plane and OAC is part of the x-z plane,
    because C is on the z axis (5k) and A is on the x axis (3i) and O is in all
    the three base plane, so AC is in the x-z plane and OM is in it, too.
    SImilarly N is in the y-z plane and MN is in the ABC plane which is a
    triangular and MN is parallel with AB, and ...... and so on

ReputationRep:
    C4 is often used in demolition charges such as the US M183 and M112. The demolition charge M183 is used primarily in breaching obstacles or demolition of large structures where large charges are required (satchel charge). The M183 charge assembly consists of 16 M112 block demolition charges, four priming assemblies, and M85 carrying case. Each priming assembly consists of a five-foot length of detonating cord assembled with two detonating cord clips and capped at each end with a booster. The components of the assembly are issued in the carrying case. The demolition charge M112 is a rectangular block of Composition C4 approximately 2 inches (51 mm) by 1.5 inches (38 mm) and 11 inches (280 mm) long, weighing 1.25 lb (0.57 kg). When the charge is detonated, the explosive is converted into gas. The gas exerts pressure in the form of a shock wave, which demolishes the target by cutting, breaching or cratering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madmandanxd)
    C4 is often used in demolition charges such as the US M183 and M112. The demolition charge M183 is used primarily in breaching obstacles or demolition of large structures where large charges are required (satchel charge). The M183 charge assembly consists of 16 M112 block demolition charges, four priming assemblies, and M85 carrying case. Each priming assembly consists of a five-foot length of detonating cord assembled with two detonating cord clips and capped at each end with a booster. The components of the assembly are issued in the carrying case. The demolition charge M112 is a rectangular block of Composition C4 approximately 2 inches (51 mm) by 1.5 inches (38 mm) and 11 inches (280 mm) long, weighing 1.25 lb (0.57 kg). When the charge is detonated, the explosive is converted into gas. The gas exerts pressure in the form of a shock wave, which demolishes the target by cutting, breaching or cratering.
    what in the world are you talking about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ztibor)
    But you can state that OM in the x-z plane.
    OM is in the OAC plane and OAC is part of the x-z plane,
    because C is on the z axis (5k) and A is on the x axis (3i) and O is in all
    the three base plane, so AC is in the x-z plane and OM is in it, too.
    SImilarly N is in the y-z plane and MN is in the ABC plane which is a
    triangular and MN is parallel with AB, and ...... and so on
    I did understand why OM was in the x-z plane but I wasn't sure how much justification I would need, thanks.

(I still can't rep you but I swear I will when I can! )

ReputationRep:
    Yes sorry on the late reply started having dinner and got distracted...yes they are parallel

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.