Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone else dislike the X-Factor and its legions of enchanted viewers? watch

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it feels like I am the only person in the world who finds the X-Factor dull, over-hyped, and irritating.

I find the whole X-Factor culture nauseating, and how people revolve a good chunk of their weekend around it.

I find it fake, and totally over-dramatic. Simon's apparent stranglehold and position as X-Factor autocrat also makes the show overbearing. Some of the acts are interesting, but most of it just seems banal and repetitive.

The acts also conform to stereotypes in the extreme.

Am I the only one who can't stand this programme? And feels it is reality TV for the easily led and simple-minded?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Sometimes it feels like I am the only person in the world who finds the X-Factor dull, over-hyped, and irritating.

I find the whole X-Factor culture nauseating, and how people revolve a good chunk of their weekend around it.

I find it fake, and totally over-dramatic. Simon's apparent stranglehold and position as X-Factor autocrat also makes the show overbearing. Some of the acts are interesting, but most of it just seems banal and repetitive.

The acts also conform to stereotypes in the extreme.

Am I the only one who can't stand this programme? And feels it is reality TV for the easily led and simple-minded?
    I wouldn't go as far to say that it's for the simple minded; I know intelligent people who watch it excitedly haha.

Although I would say it is a bit of a sham really; brilliant singers don't actually make it past the initial audition stages (which is before the acts even see the celebrity judges) which just goes to show that it isn't about singing, I mean lets face it. If it were truly about singing then none of the sob stories would be broadcast and none of those decent singers in the initial audition round would be sitting at home.

Simon tried to back up the show by saying, "What you see is what you get; it's raw footage and nothing is censored" which presumably implies that those judges sit through thousands of acts everyday and judge their ability accordingly; take from that what you will.

The sob stories do aggravate me though - why do we hear all the "decent" singer's sob stories yet when a crap singer comes along we don't hear about their sad life (Although that's probably because comments such as, "That was horrendous" would sound worse).

ReputationRep:
    I never thought I would agree with Margaret Thatcher - but yes, I am the same.

ReputationRep:
    The auditions are pretty funny, but after that I see what else is on the telly.

ReputationRep:
    I only watch it because its so bad and its funny to laugh at everyone getting so hyped up over most of the time noise. The music industry is so one sided and the judges are very biased towards a certain type of musical genre. Theres no variety.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like watching the audition stages of the X-Factor, purely because a lot of the people on there are totally deluded and I find that amusing, but I do tend to lose interest after that; if for no other real reason than shows like the X-Factor rarely produce successful performing artists.

ReputationRep:
    i can't stand the x-factor
    i honestly feel its one of the worst shows on telly.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't watched it since Gareth Gates and Will Young were battling one another. And even then it was only because my grandma thought Gareth was "such a sweet boy."

ReputationRep:
    I agree with all of your points, but I still love it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even watch the auditions, do you people not cringe at all? It's not a good feeling.

I did used to watch Fame Academy, however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apple_head)
    I only watch it because its so bad and its funny to laugh at everyone getting so hyped up over most of the time noise. The music industry is so one sided and the judges are very biased towards a certain type of musical genre. Theres no variety.
    Your words are gold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    I don't even watch the auditions, do you people not cringe at all? It's not a good feeling.

I did used to watch Fame Academy, however.
    Exactly! I hate watching people embarrass themselves in the auditions. I sometimes used to watch Britain's Got Talent just for the stunts in some of the acts, but I think reality TV in general is just dull.

ReputationRep:
    I would only watch it as one of those "boredom, last resort" options. I used to quite like it, but the novelty as well as the talent has worn completely.

ReputationRep:
    It's on ITV, the rating hunting channel who'll aim at the lowest common denominator (i.e simple-minded folk, like checkout staff) in order to increase views.

ReputationRep:
    You are hardly the only person in the country that holds this view. There's a backlash against it in some form every other weekend, not to mention last year's Christmas number one single.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 29, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.