Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am not entirely sure as to what your phrase "Exceptional Circumstances" means when applied to courses that can be charged up to £9000 for. Could you please clarify exactly what you mean by it?

For example, I wish to study Economics at University, could/will this subject be charged £9000 a year for or not? There is no expensive lab work involved, just teaching.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    " * Any university or college will be able to charge a graduate contribution of up to £6,000.

* In exceptional cases, universities will be able to charge higher contributions, up to a limit of £9,000, subject to meeting much tougher conditions on widening participation and fair access. It will be up to the university or college to decide what it charges, including whether it charges at different levels for different courses.

* Any university or college will be able to charge below £6,000. Universities and colleges wanting to charge above £6,000 a year will have to show how they will spend some of the additional income making progress in widening participation and fair access. The Office for Fair Access will be able to apply sanctions in cases where universities do not deliver on the commitments in their access agreements, up to and including withdrawing the right of the university to charge more than £6,000."

- - - - -

The University decides and the government must approve their plans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tripleeagle)
    " * Any university or college will be able to charge a graduate contribution of up to £6,000.

* In exceptional cases, universities will be able to charge higher contributions, up to a limit of £9,000, subject to meeting much tougher conditions on widening participation and fair access. It will be up to the university or college to decide what it charges, including whether it charges at different levels for different courses.

* Any university or college will be able to charge below £6,000. Universities and colleges wanting to charge above £6,000 a year will have to show how they will spend some of the additional income making progress in widening participation and fair access. The Office for Fair Access will be able to apply sanctions in cases where universities do not deliver on the commitments in their access agreements, up to and including withdrawing the right of the university to charge more than £6,000."

- - - - -

The University decides and the government must approve their plans
    Surely all this widening participation and fair access (bar any extra grants/scholarships/bursaries) will not be implemented for/effect my year (currently Year 12) - i.e. summer schools and outreach programmes will be too late for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegenius31416)
    Surely all this widening participation and fair access (bar any extra grants/scholarships/bursaries) will not be implemented for/effect my year (currently Year 12) - i.e. summer schools and outreach programmes will be too late for me.
    I wasn't even thinking about summer schools and programmes... If one's intelligent, determined and sees value in going to University, I thought one would make the decision by one's self? You don't sound like you need to be convinced that Uni is for you (i.e. outreach programmes)!

I don't know exactly what the 'access' restrictrications are but they may, as you say, include grants, scholarships and bursaries - which will affect you if you're concerned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tripleeagle)
    I wasn't even thinking about summer schools and programmes... If one's intelligent, determined and sees value in going to University, I thought one would make the decision by one's self? You don't sound like you need to be convinced that Uni is for you (i.e. outreach programmes)!

I don't know exactly what the 'access' restrictrications are but they may, as you say, include grants, scholarships and bursaries - which will affect you if you're concerned.
    I really want to find out what these improvements in access are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegenius31416)
    I really want to find out what these improvements in access are!
    Yeah I'm curious to find out too! I guess all will be revealed when they set out the full policy on tuition fees and vote on it?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.