Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

I started my Joint degree in English and Theology in 2007 and am currently in the final year. However, I've had to repeat the second year along the way due to a combination of financial difficulties and dissatisfaction with my course. I considered transferring to a different University. At this time, I was offered an interview to transfer to BA Theology at Durham, but was rejected. I now have an interview for the MA at the same University at the end of term. However, I'm concerned that they may ask me why I repeated and that my average might not be high enough - I scored 66% in Year 1 and 61% last year, with one Theology module at 40%. Any advice about how to prepare for the interview would be appreciated.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confusedone)
    Hi Everyone,

I started my Joint degree in English and Theology in 2007 and am currently in the final year. However, I've had to repeat the second year along the way due to a combination of financial difficulties and dissatisfaction with my course. I considered transferring to a different University. At this time, I was offered an interview to transfer to BA Theology at Durham, but was rejected. I now have an interview for the MA at the same University at the end of term. However, I'm concerned that they may ask me why I repeated and that my average might not be high enough - I scored 66% in Year 1 and 61% last year, with one Theology module at 40%. Any advice about how to prepare for the interview would be appreciated.

Many thanks
    In all honesty, I suppose it would depend on which subject you are applying for; English is likely to be more competitive than theology. Nevertheless, your transcript should only show your marks and not how many years you have studied - that is, they should not be able to tell whether you had to repeat a year unless you tell them. Again, I think in these cases it is probably better to be as honest as possible, because you are a borderline case (i.e. close to the 2.1 boundary and your average is going down not up) and if there were no problems then they would just assume you were not academically suited for postgraduate study. But if you explain that you repeated your second year, if you mention your past history with the university, then they are far more likely to be considerate.

Good luck anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.