Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how much alcohol is a problem? Watch

As title basically.

I drink a moderate amount I'd say but my doctor seems to think I drink excessively and got me to write an alcohol diary but I'm not sure how that's meant to help as I don't drink as much as most students seem to so why is she getting on at me?

Sorry kind of confused about this, wondering where the line would be between alcohol to excess and moderate amount?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    give me some data on how much alcohol you drink and i will judge you objectively.

ReputationRep:
    well how much do you drink and how often?

occasionally (usually with lacrosse) i'll hit 20 units in a night. but then i rarely do that so i don't see it as a problem
    most nights it's generally closer to 10, but again, i don't go out every night so i don't see it as a problem.

and in the holidays i drink pretty much nothing at all

I'd prefer if you guys would give an objective amount rather than my amount but seeing as it's 2 requests:

on an average day:
    2 cans strong cider
    1 or 2 cans beer
    some spirits

To me that doesn't seem a particularly large amount, especially when I consider the amount that most university students seem to drink. Is this doctor making a fuss over nothing?

ReputationRep:
    no more than most students. i still wouldnt advise people to drink that much daily but if you're worried that you;re drinking more than other students you're not and if that doctor sees lots of stuide3nts i bet they've given that lecture a thousand times over in the last week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'd prefer if you guys would give an objective amount rather than my amount but seeing as it's 2 requests:

on an average day:
    2 cans strong cider
    1 or 2 cans beer
    some spirits

To me that doesn't seem a particularly large amount, especially when I consider the amount that most university students seem to drink. Is this doctor making a fuss over nothing?
    Ignore what other people are doing; your perceptions are almost certainly imperfect, and it's irrelevant to your health.

What you're drinking is not LOADS, but it is a significant amount more than your guideline number of units. And if you're drinking this every single day, especially if you're doing it on your own and/or feel that you can't get through a day without drinking something, then your alcohol consumption is problematic.

ReputationRep:

on an average day:
    2 cans strong cider
    1 or 2 cans beer
    some spirits

its not ALOT, though you should really leave about 3 days a week alcohol free to allow your liver to repair itself, especially if you've had a night or few of heavy drinking

ReputationRep:
    I drink most days, and whatever's around.but I'm a pretty cool guy tbh.

ReputationRep:
    You can't trust doctors. My university sent messages to just about everyone who registered with the health center saying they were worried they all might be alcoholics and they should come and have tests. Admittedly they did a survey first, but there were people being called in who had marked that they don't even ever get drunk...

ReputationRep:

on an average day:
    2 cans strong cider
    1 or 2 cans beer
    some spirits

well we drink when we go out... by the sounds of it you just drink for the sake of it. (yes i know you could argue it both ways)

but in my mind drinking alcohol as part of your usual daily routine is much more damaging than drinking a lot every few of nights. kind of points towards alcoholic tendancies

I'm sorry to bump the thread but I've been giving it some thought and I think I might have a bit of a problem.

I've drunk every night for the past 9 nights, and in the past 4 weeks I've only had 4 days without a drink but I don't know if I can stop. I keep reading about liver cirrhosis and other problems and tell myself I'll stop after this one but I don't, the next night I'm here again drinking and again reading about liver cirrhosis trying to tell myself this is the last night. Not really sure what to do, I feel pathetic, but I have a massive stash of alcohol in my room, I don't have anyone I can give it to and I feel ashamed to admit that things are really starting to spiral out of my control. Any help?
    • PS Helper

Anon - this is part of the reason the Dr asked you to do an alcohol diary - it's pointing out to you more clearly what your consumption is.

Don't feel ashamed to admit that things are getting out of control. Say to the GP that having catalouged your drinking you realise that it's potentially a problem

people always say the first step to solving is admitting you have a problem!

ReputationRep:
    The above poster is correct, the first step is admittance. My friend over here drinks four cans of lager before going to work and sees nothing wrong with it all, so just be thankful you obviously have a bit more control. It's very easy to slip into serious problems but remember the joy of going to sleep sober, it'll feel weird at first and quite difficult (going to asleep without any depressants) but you'll wake up a lot more refreshed and better, ready to tackle the day. As they say "one day at a time", so try to do one day at a time for two weeks if you can, if there's no insomnia, no pains and excessive sweating then maybe you should look into limiting your drinking or if you so choose, stopping all together. However, it'll be a big indication to proving that you aren't an alcoholic or someone who has the control to stop. Easy to say it, hard to do it but just believe in yourself as it will improve your life drastically if you stop/limit yourself at a young age, it won't kill you today, but if you continue this way you'll be 40-50 living the life of someone much older.

Edit: I just read your post over once more and missed the fact you have only had 4 days sober in the last month. As an indication of hope and of understanding, I'm on Erasmus and I needed to gather a good set of friends, so I hit the bars for a month straight with maybe also only 4 days sober. It wasn't clever, it wasn't helpful to my body and it sure as hell was expensive. However, I also had slight trepidation over stopping, what with all these fright stories of people dying from withdrawing but I just stopped after maybe 6 weeks. That was a month and half ago and I only go out two or three times now, never drink when I'm not out and am very productive. So just find a balance between when it's ok to drink (irregular social outings) and the rest of the time is recuperation time to further educational/personal progression = ].

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 5, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.