Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can my mother say all this to me - Shes changed Watch

first of all im most definately NOT troll.

Well this has been going on for about 3 months in total. At first she would just make these sort of remarks whenever she got angry/pissed (not drunk) anyway i just put it aside, just thinking that it was said in the heat of the moment.

These remarks consist of: you're a mistake, i should've throttled you at birth, my two daughters (my sisters) will be better than you will ever be, ive never wanted you. She has now even stopped calling me by my real name

Now what sort of shocks me is that she has never actually said something so hurt to me in my entire life, its just gradually getting worse, the taunts and my sisters are pretty young and are pratically brainwashed by her so i cant really talk to them, my dad has never been present throughout my life. So really i dont know who to turn to/ask. Its not something that i wanna share with my friends either.
    So what is going on why is she acting like this? ive tried asking her whats up but she just looks straight through me and carries on as if im some sort of stranger. Im really confused at the moment, than sad if anything.

anyone? ;|

ReputationRep:
    im sorry to hear this and it sounds awful but i think you need to talk to her...really talk to her and sit her down until she has to look you in the eye and explain how you are feeling. It sounds as if she dodges the topic and turns away but if you talk to her, maybe with support from someone then she may listen. If you tell her how much its hurting you she may understand and if it starts to get any worse this is bordering on verbal abuse!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    If this behaviour is completely out of character then it could be a symptom of an illness and it would be worth seeing a doctor- do you have an older relative who could approach her about seeing someone? This must be really tough to deal with alone

ReputationRep:
    She actually sounds mentally ill- possibly depressed? Severely.. But you should try to persuade her to see a doctor, as she might not be able to realise what's wrong with her. Hopefully things should get better if she does this, because admitting she has a problem is the first step

ReputationRep:
    After the years, she has finally snapped. Talk to her or someone else you feel comfortable talking to it about, see if you can get any help for her.

(Original post by bexter:))
    im sorry to hear this and it sounds awful but i think you need to talk to her...really talk to her and sit her down until she has to look you in the eye and explain how you are feeling. It sounds as if she dodges the topic and turns away but if you talk to her, maybe with support from someone then she may listen. If you tell her how much its hurting you she may understand and if it starts to get any worse this is bordering on verbal abuse!!!!!
    its only starting to hurt, at first i was obviously taken back by it all. I have no other relatives in this country, i could ask family-friends however i think she'll turn on me even more for getting people involved.
    I've had the thought that she is mentally unstable from the very start, however it has been something that ive kept at the back of my head.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds to me like it could be some sort of midlife crisis. Typically around 40 - 60 is when it is supposed to happen. Some people go through it without any emotional difficulties, other will experience great emotional difficulties.

It is usually based around feelings of discontent with life and the desire for new, better things. For some it is an evaluation of life at the present and the past. It can be quite confusing for the person themselves. There is feelings of doubt, boredom, depression and maybe even anger. It is important to note that there may be external factors as well as internal factors as well. Also, irrational decisions may be made while these feelings are present.

I say, this may be the explanation but I don't know, you may not know, and she may not know even.

Its important to keep in mind that she doesn't mean any of what she is saying if her usual self doesn't act in this manner. It may be hard, but try to be there to support her as best you can and maybe if this continues, suggest she go to see a counsellor to explore these feelings.

ReputationRep:
    Well if its just started out of the blue and you have an inkling that she's ill i suggest that you maybe go to the doctors or possibly search online for these symptoms to see if they relate to any illnesses. If it will make your mum angry i suggest you research first and go to the doctors if you have no other option. But something definately needs to be done xx

ReputationRep:
    Your mum sounds ill. You need emotional protection. I think you should talk to a trusted relative and also your GP.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.