Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    just to put you into picture we are having a debate at school which the motion is

"girls in school should get compulsory contraceptive implants"

Discuss arguments for and against

I just wanted to see you views on this
    thanks for taking part in this

And how do you do polls?because then we can see the views of TSR on this topic

ReputationRep:
    WOW. Totally no!!! That can interfere with someone's religion.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, well, any girl who is planning on having sex during their time at the school. Screw as you please, just don't be poppin' out little sprogs every term.

ReputationRep:
    No, they shouldn't. As has been said, it can go against people's religions. Secondly, they may prefer other methods of contraception. Thirdly, people may not want medical procedures, that's their own personal choice! I'm not a huge fan of human rights, but that seriously oversteps the mark!

ReputationRep:
    Also the implant isnt suitable for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    this has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with personal preference/choice

yes someones religion may have an effect on their personal preferences, but you lot so far seem to think if you're not religious your view matters less

ReputationRep:
    The implant isn't suitable for every woman.

Also could possibly encourage promiscuity? "No chance of a baby, let's have sex!!" Also if they have that they may be less likely to think of using condoms, therefore STDs can be spread.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No, I think it should be an option. But making it complsory has many negative concequences. It could go against someones religion (eg. Cathloscism), it could have negative health effects on the young woman, as it can cause weight gain and sickness in some women, it is ethically dispicable, as I can pretty much guarentee that alot of girls will not want this done to them, and the use of condoms may go down, icreasing the occurance od STIs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    this has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with personal preference/choice

yes someones religion may have an effect on their personal preferences, but you lot so far seem to think if you're not religious your view matters less
    +1

It's about personal liberty and freedom, nothing to do with religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    The implant isn't suitable for every woman.

Also could possibly encourage promiscuity? "No chance of a baby, let's have sex!!" Also if they have that they may be less likely to think of using condoms, therefore STDs can be spread.
    The availability of contraceptives, or lack thereof, has no effect on the average teenager's libido and desire to be promiscuous.

Your other point of being less likely to use condoms is more valid.

ReputationRep:
    sounds like not a viable solution. It's education of purpose rather utilising out of ignorance which should be confronted.

ReputationRep:
    I think it should be a choice, not compulsory. In my opinion, we need to take responsibility for our own actions. A compulsory implant might prevent pregnancy but it could just as well inhibit responsible thoughts. And I think it's patronising towards those who do or would take responsibility anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with that at all as implants are not suitable for everyone, and many would prefer different forms of contraception. I for one decided not to have it and went on the Pill instead because things like the implant freak me out for some reason.

It should be a choice if girls go on contraception, because it means girls learn to take more responsibility for their own health and well being etc. and not get pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    Personally yes, means I don't have to put JLS on my ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mp145)
    Hi
    just to put you into picture we are having a debate at school which the motion is

"girls in school should get compulsory contraceptive implants"

Discuss arguments for and against

I just wanted to see you views on this
    thanks for taking part in this

And how do you do polls?because then we can see the views of TSR on this topic
    No because the Implant does not work for a lot of women, I'm progestron intolerant and had to suffer for 9/10 months before they realised and then took it out.

However what they should do is teach students about all the different contraception available including the risks and side effects they might have so students are well aware rather then just knowing about Condoms and the Pill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottie93)
    However what they should do is teach students about all the different contraception available including the risks and side effects they might have so students are well aware rather then just knowing about Condoms and the Pill
    I swear we're already taught this.. the amount of different contraception things I had to look at and know about and able to answer questions on during secondary school was hugee...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summergirl.x)
    I swear we're already taught this.. the amount of different contraception things I had to look at and know about and able to answer questions on during secondary school was hugee...
    We were only taught about the pill and condoms but I went to an all girls 'religious' school however my boyfriend went to a mixed comprehensive and they didn't have sex ed once the entire 5/6 years they were there.

It all depends on the school but good on your school for telling you about it, I only found out about the implant (and other methods) when I went to the Family Planning Clinic.

ReputationRep:
    Then they may as well sterilize boys while there at it. It's there fault just as much. The British sed ed is just a big laugh. Being an outsider, seriously, I can understand why so many of your teens are pregnant.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 9, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.