The Student Room Group

PGCE interview subject knowledge

In the interviews, do they ask you questions to test your subject knowledge? I have applied to do a PGCE in a subject that is not related to my degree and am worried that if they ask me particularly challenging subject-specific questions at this stage I may not be able to answer well. What's everyone's experiences of the types of questions that are asked?
What is your degree subject, and what subject are you doing? It could help us out in decided how hard the questions will be. For example, I did an interview in Maths PGCE, but with every intention of doing an SKE so didn't worry about the Maths questions. They weren't really that hard either!
Reply 2
Fairly standard GCSE/A-level material really - mostly GCSE. Get hold of some GCSE papers and have a go :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by golden_bough

Original post by golden_bough
In the interviews, do they ask you questions to test your subject knowledge? I have applied to do a PGCE in a subject that is not related to my degree and am worried that if they ask me particularly challenging subject-specific questions at this stage I may not be able to answer well. What's everyone's experiences of the types of questions that are asked?

I had an interview for history pgce and my degree was in american studies where I did a lot of history but it was all concentrated on the USA. I was briefly asked what kind of topics I studied at university and that was it. Maybe read a brief overview of some of the national curriculum topics for your subject? Also, for something like history especially, it's the historical skills you need as opposed to knowledge. It's impossible to have already studied the entire national curriculum so teachers are always teaching themselves the subject matter anyway. I think it's probably more important to have the skills needed to teach the subject rather than an in depth knowledge of every topic. Just my opinion for history though!
Reply 4
Phew. I am doing a Classics degree but have applied for a PGCE in R.E. I am pretty confident with my GCSE and A level knowledge but wouldn't be very comfortable answering degree-level questions.

If anyone has any experience of the types of questions that are asked at R.E. PGCE interviews, advice would be gratefully received!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending