Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it still worth it to get a Iphone 4 now? I have been saving up money from my part time job for a new smartphone and I've always wanted to have an iphone.
    Is it still worth it to get it now? They don't give out those free bumpers anymore and also, will the next version of Iphone be due soon? I was wondering whether to get one now due to the VAT rise in January 4th 2011 :/, but I am still unsure. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    It might be worth getting the iPad and a HTC Desire HD and so you have the best of both worlds (iOS and Android), but that's just me

ReputationRep:
    Haha I am sure it would but sadly I don't have that much money :P, I have had a crappy phone a for a while now so I just really want a upgrade

ReputationRep:
    I have been thinking about getting one for a while too from tesco, just don't know if it is worth the amount of money or whether to just get a ipod touch.

ReputationRep:
    They don't give out the free bumpers because they've apparently fixed the aerial problem which was why they gave them out in the first place. I would get one before the VAT rise personally, but its your choice. Maybe better waiting til after xmas?

ReputationRep:
    When are they gonna bring out a new iPhone that won't be for a long time will it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrampingRampage)
    Is it still worth it to get a Iphone 4 now? I have been saving up money from my part time job for a new smartphone and I've always wanted to have an iphone.
    Is it still worth it to get it now? They don't give out those free bumpers anymore and also, will the next version of Iphone be due soon? I was wondering whether to get one now due to the VAT rise in January 4th 2011 :/, but I am still unsure. Cheers
    No Apocalypse now, iPhone 4 later.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh it's so confusing, prices for the Iphone never seem to come down, so if a new one is due out soon then it wouldn't be worth it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    When are they gonna bring out a new iPhone that won't be for a long time will it?
    June/July. There were some rumors about January a while ago but I think thats very unlikely

ReputationRep:
    Just get a blocked Iphone 4 from some other country on Ebay and it should definitely work in the UK. You'll make a massive saving. There's plenty of stolen Iphones being sold on Ebay.

ReputationRep:
    Considering it's been about 6 months, it's still a fairly new phone and one of the best available. It's very expensive but I guess you have to weigh that up yourself. I think it's an excellent phone, very slick and fluid controls, sleek looking. My brother has one and I received a tax rebate of £500 a couple of weeks ago (free money, so to speak-- I was expecting it). I thought about getting an iPhone for a second but couldn't part with my money. I find it overpriced but that's my opinion.

On the plus side, Apple offer excellent support both in terms of customer service and in keeping your mobile updated. In 2 years time no doubt the iPhone 4 will still be getting updates and continue to run reasonably well, whereas I can't say the same about other smart phones (such as Android). So yes, Apple phones do have a longer life and you can see the demand on ebay by how well they hold their value.

(Original post by Dekota-XS)
    Just get a blocked Iphone 4 from some other country on Ebay and it should definitely work in the UK. You'll make a massive saving. There's plenty of stolen Iphones being sold on Ebay.
    Do this if you want to be a thieving ********.
    I can't believe how willingly people would buy stolen goods. Wait til your car or house gets burgled. And the reason thieves do it? cuz ********s like you will buy it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Considering it's been about 6 months, it's still a fairly new phone and one of the best available. It's very expensive but I guess you have to weigh that up yourself. I think it's an excellent phone, very slick and fluid controls, sleek looking. My brother has one and I received a tax rebate of £500 a couple of weeks ago (free money, so to speak-- I was expecting it). I thought about getting an iPhone for a second but couldn't part with my money. I find it overpriced but that's my opinion.

On the plus side, Apple offer excellent support both in terms of customer service and in keeping your mobile updated. In 2 years time no doubt the iPhone 4 will still be getting updates and continue to run reasonably well, whereas I can't say the same about other smart phones (such as Android). So yes, Apple phones do have a longer life and you can see the demand on ebay by how well they hold their value.

Do this if you want to be a thieving ********.
    I can't believe how willingly people would buy stolen goods. Wait til your car or house gets burgled. And the reason thieves do it? cuz ********s like you will buy it.
    Not at all. IOS4 crippled the 3G and 3GS, so I wouldn't say it's really supported since right now they've still failed to fix the issues with the 3G. If anything Android is far more likely to run well after two years because you have a mod community you release super optimised updates for phones.

To be honest the 'real' life cycle of any smart phone is about 1 year (give or take a few months), I would say the big pro of the iPhones is that they'll hold their value more than most phones, so in that respect it's a good long term investment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Not at all. IOS4 crippled the 3G and 3GS, so I wouldn't say it's really supported since right now they've still failed to fix the issues with the 3G. If anything Android is far more likely to run well after two years because you have a mod community you release super optimised updates for phones.

To be honest the 'real' life cycle of any smart phone is about 1 year (give or take a few months), I would say the big pro of the iPhones is that they'll hold their value more than most phones, so in that respect it's a good long term investment.
    The average user isn't going to start flashing their phone. That's far too complicated. iOS updates are timely whereas android updates have to go through various network delays- if the phone gets any updates at all. I have a couple of friends with the 3gs and they work perfectly well. I can't say the same for the Hero, for instance (came out roughly same time and took an age to get any support.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    The average user isn't going to start flashing their phone. That's far too complicated. iOS updates are timely whereas android updates have to go through various network delays- if the phone gets any updates at all. I have a couple of friends with the 3gs and they work perfectly well. I can't say the same for the Hero, for instance (came out roughly same time and took an age to get any support.
    You also have to remember the Android releases we're and probably still are more frequent. So the 3GS has had 1 update and the Hero has had 1 update, just IOS comes out on a specific date. Though all the non sense with carriers releasing it differently is hurting the Android experience somewhat.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.